1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't stand my girlfriend's best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HeavyHeart, Aug 13, 2014.

1. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I need some advice....
    I am not an easy person to get along with. I am very introverted and have pretty low self esteem, which makes it difficult for me to make lasting friends. Once someone does something to 'ruin' our relationship, whatever that is, it's over for me. I can't go back to being friends with them or even try to pretend to be friends with them. That's how it is with my girlfriend's best friend. I can't stand her. She's the type of person who ALWAYS has to be the center of attention, which for me is a huge barrier to becoming friends with someone. She's also had a fling with my girlfriend in the past, which bugs me. She also lives a pretty reckless lifestyle (drugs, partying, modeling...) and has more tattoos and piercings than I can count on her face alone (we're all in our mid 20's now). My girlfriend used to be into drugs and partying all the time, but she's been working hard the past two years to move on and do something productive with her life. Get an education, get a job, save up money so she (and hopefully I) can move out west where she's always wanted to live. I can't help but worry every single time she hangs out with this person who's still into all this crazy stuff. I feel like it's a mixture of her friend's (awful) personality and lifestyle that's keeping me from liking her, and it's creating a barrier between my girlfriend and I. Suggestions???:help:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    have you talked to your gf about this?

3. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We've talked (and argued) many times about this.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 09:05 PM ----------

My girlfriend feels I haven't given her friend a chance and that I don't trust her to make the right decisions (i.e. not start doing drugs/partying again).

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh wow, im sorry has she changed in the time you have known her best friend?

5. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Has her friend changed? Nope. Has my girlfriend changed? She used to be a lot like her friend, but she's given up a lot of that lifestyle

6. Candace

Well you have to look at the fact that your girlfriend has started working hard in hopes that you and her can have a better life together. She could have, hypothetically, not done anything and followed in the path of her best friend. But you also have to allow your girlfriend to make her own choices. I would be severely pissed off if my boyfriend told me that I couldn't hang out with my friends because it was becoming a detriment in our relationship. I seriously cannot stand my best friends' friends, so I do understand where you're coming from. At the same time, I learned that I have to trust my friends and that they will make the right decisions and come back to you at the end of the day. From the looks of it, due to the fact that your girlfriend has decided to get her s**t together and start working towards a future goal, presumably with you, then she values you more than her "best friend". Remember that :slight_smile:.

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh do you care for each other, you and your gf?

8. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's very true. And they do still hang out together, but it's gotten to the point where she usually hides the fact that they are hanging out together. We just had a fight tonight because we were going to hang out with a different friend of hers and this friend (the one I can't stand) was going to be there also...just the 4 of us. I decided not to go, but was kind of upset about it because I overheard my girlfriend talking about it on the phone, but she didn't tell me about it until I confronted her.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 09:14 PM ----------

Of course, we love each other. I just cannot bring myself to like one of her good friends and I don't know what to do about it. It's becoming a bigger and bigger problem in our relationship.

9. You don't have to like all of her friends. No one can make you do so and that's totally ok.

But you are going to have to trust your girlfriend. Right now she's probably feeling like she needs to hide this because you're not trusting her. She has made her own life decisions and she chose to clean up her act and get serious about going somewhere with her life and that's great. But it always is going to be her decision to do so. And once she's made her decision, which it sounds like she did a while ago, you're going to have to trust her about it.

And just because you don't like her friend, doesn't mean your girlfriend doesn't know what she's doing by hanging out with her. You gotta start trusting that your girlfriend isn't going to totally screw up just because she wants to keep in contact with an old friend. It's putting your girlfriend in a really crappy position that you're so disapproving of her best friend because eventually, if you keep fighting about it, it's going to come down to a choice for her. And your girlfriend shouldn't have to make the choice between you and her best friend. If it comes down to choosing between the two of you, that leads to a lot of resentment. You don't want that between you.

Trust your girlfriend. If she's as worthy of your love and trust as you obviously believed at one point (otherwise you probably wouldn't be with her) she can navigate this friendship without going back to the lifestyle she chose to get out of.

10. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's good advice, thank you. Trust has always been hard for me, and I'm honestly trying to work on it, it just hasn't been going well :/. All I can see in her friend are these negative qualities, and for me it's easy to 'let people go' when they're not making good choices. I used to have friends who now I can't be around because I've changed so much and they're still the same. For me, I have to let those people go sometimes in order for me to move on. It's difficult for me to understand why my girlfriend isn't like that.

11. I feel ya. I really do.
    There are a few people in my life that I have had to cut ties with because those relationships were toxic for me. But that may not be the case with your girlfriend and this friend. If your girlfriend chooses to stay friends, there must be something good there.

You said yourself that you don't understand why your girlfriend is holding onto the friendship. Maybe you should start by finding out why. Ask your girlfriend about her friend, don't talk, don't try to tell her she's wrong or why you think otherwise, just listen. Try to imagine, based on what your girlfriend says about her friend, why her friend is an important person in her life.

Maybe if you extend an olive branch like that to your girlfriend you both can work together to try and make this easier for everyone. Maybe if you try to experience this from her perspective instead of just your ideas about her friend then it will be easier for you to get where your girlfriend is coming from.

12. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    it's funny you would suggest that, my whole job/career is based on empathizing with people on a daily basis and listening to their problems...I wonder why I find it so difficult to do in my personal life. thanks so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

13. No problem! Hey, it's easy to see things objectively from an outside perspective. It's easy to see the way out for someone else because you're not bogged down by the personal feelings and history of it all.

It's hard to do it when it's your life and you emotions, your history, your loved ones, etc. There'a lot to think about and often it feels like there's so much to lose if you mess up. Don't beat yourself up for that. I think that's all just really normal. That's why lots of us need the outside perspective that it sounds like you give to people via your work!