1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post-Breakup Depression. Is there hope? How can I move on? (1st relationship)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by senorsarcastic, Aug 19, 2014.

1. senorsarcastic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys! I'm new to this site/forum but I wanted to see if asking a question here could help me with some relationship troubles I've had :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So here I go:

So me and my ex ended things around 4 weeks ago after the last few weeks of our relationship were full of nothing but distance and falling out. I'm still struggling with this so I'm here to ask for anyone's opinion on how to move forward. Here's the full story:

We're both gay, I'm 19 and he's 20. He was my first real relationship. We started dating in May and everything was going great until he got drunk one night (a month after dating, and on my birthday too...) and a guy kissed him. It took him a week to tell me (which I understood took alot of courage, and I did appreciate his honesty) however we eventually started falling out because I felt insecure about the fact that something like this would happen so early in a relationship. We eventually decided that we did have feelings for each other however he didn't want to risk hurting me so we agreed to remove the relationship title however still act as a couple. I thought it was a way for him to get himself together and eventually fall back into a relationship with me however it didn't work and he decided it was best if we ended things completely because he couldn't do it. Obviously I was crushed but I couldn't force him to stay in any "relationship" he wouldn't be ready for. When we broke up he said it's possible that we could get back together down the road and that he promised I did nothing wrong. This got my hopes up but then I noticed he was back on ****** and when I confronted him about it, he assured me it was only to make friends. Being deeply saddened and skeptical by this, knowing he used to sleep around alot because he's pretty attractive; I initiated NC for around 2 weeks. During that time he messaged me a week in asking me how I was doing but I just replied with short and casual texts. Another week went by and while I did make certain progress and started to learn how to live without him texting me constantly like we used to, I decided to text him back first this time just to be civil and to try and keep a friendship with him. We talked casually however long story short, one thing led to another and we eventually got back on the topic of our breakup and I asked him whether he still missed me or felt anything because I clearly still had feelings for him. He told me ever since our breakup he hasn't felt anything for me, and that he doesn't see anything happening again in the near future. As a result I just thanked him for his honesty and left it at that. I unfollowed him from social media so I can stop obsessing over him however his declaration of him losing his feelings for me shattered the hopes I had that he still feels the same way. He initially made me think there was still a chance for us and it's resulted in the most depressing end.

I guess my question is - how can I move on? Do you guys think he just said that to help me move on (while he's been in tons of relationships before, he always said I was the first person who was different from the rest. I never used him for sex and I was the first person he claims to have tried this hard for him). Has anyone ever had an ex that rekindled anything after a long period of rebuilding and self-discovery? I know it's pretty pathetic to be asking this question but I've just been crushed because this was my first relationship and I put it all out there. Does it really get better? Do you all think there's still hope one day and that I asked what I did way too soon? Thank you so much for reading all this and I appreciate any responses I may get.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry. (*hug*)

It's up to you, really. Do you think it will hurt more if you drifted away or stayed close?

Even after breakups, there's a chance you can be his friend. But I understand it's not so easy for some, and maybe that's the case with you.

You can't rush moving on. You're not going to suddenly feel happier one day - it takes steps. Slow, patient steps - but steps nonetheless.

And It's not pathetic at all to be asking for help. I can't really help you, as I haven't been in this situation before, but I suppose I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Hang on there, man. You can do it. :slight_smile:

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Breaking up with the first relationship is always the worst one because, well, it's the first. Relationships will get easier from here on out (for most people, anyways), and you'll find it easier to get over others later in life. I've never been in a relationship, and I'm dreading it; I've just felt like this is the case because I've seen how my best friend evolved through her first relationships from the sidelines. Her first relationship lasted less than a year, and the dude ended up cheating on her. She was depressed for a bit afterwards. Though that's the drastic way to end a first relationship, she's learned from it and now relationships are getting a bit easier. It will get easier for you. Good luck! (*hug*)