1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents finally "coming out" about me to their friends and extended family (YAY!!!)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Purplefrog, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

So, I posted a blog posting recently about how I found certain practices, beliefs etc by certain corners of Christianity unacceptable. For example, thinking that being gay can be prayed away, that it being gay is a sign of brokenness etc. In this blog posting I was deliberately ambiguous about which side of supporting the gay community I am in, as I am sensitive to the fact there are certain extended family members and close family friends who don't know about me as yet - and I am also aware telling them needs to be something discussed between me and my parents. I haven't broached it with them yet as I know my parents have had a lot of getting used to about things.

My parents, who haven't found me coming out easy (due to their own background of evangelicalism) emailed me today to say that they saw the blog and thought it was good, but before I publicly announce my orientation via social media, can they tell these people themselves first. I rang them back, and basically they were worrying whether I felt comfortable yet about people knowing - as they have had situations recently where they have wanted to say things to friends, but have kept quiet.

I am so over the moon that they were being considerate - and that they, like me, are bursting for it all not to be a selected secret anymore. I cannot say how happy I am that I can finally reach a place where I can be fully authentic without having to worry about who knows and who doesn't know.

I have reached a point too, where even if people do have a problem with it, it is ultimately their problem, as I know that I am loved.

2. Really

Re: Parents finally "coming out" about me to their friends and extended family (YAY!!

Wow! This is good. Congrats!
    (I like the happy stories.)