1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like my identity got negated somehow...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LadyRedRover, Aug 22, 2014.

1. LadyRedRover

Today, one of my friends called me out to the pool when she saw me outside. We've flirted off and on since she 'used to be'(<--her words) attracted to women. So, I go down there and she's talking to me about how great this one church is and I ask her if it's LGBT-affirming. She tells me no and that there used to be a church in that town that was, but that it got burned down by anti-gay protesters a few years ago.

She continues to talk about how 'homosexuality is wrong' but that she 'hates the sin, but loves the sinner'. Now, first off, I hate that term when applied to homosexuality because the 'sin' is an integral part of that person. I start trying to explain my views(I've studied the Bible extensively) and she cuts me off by saying the 'no man shall lie with a man as with a woman' and that I can't truly be saved unless I repent. She also adds that my translation of the Bible can't be trusted because I'm not living according to God's will and that Satan is skewing the message.

Another friend of mine that was at the pool chimes in with something along the same lines of 'homosexuals can never be Christian because they refuse to repent and continue to live in iniquity' and 'being gay is weird and unnatural'.

Then the first girl begins to talk about how crossdressers and trans* people are abominations against God. I begin to explain that I'm an androgyne, and therefore on the trans* scale, and she says that the reason I'm androgynous is because I'm not living according to God's plan for my life due to my homosexuality. She also adds that I can't possibly be androgynous because I look too 'pretty' and not 'man-like' at all.

I'm both confused and angry about this conversation. I'm confused because only a few weeks ago(before she started going to church) she was flirting and hanging out with me and telling me that she was a LGBT ally and now she's done a complete 180. Also, I couldn't understand why my other friend agreed with her considering that they've been my friend for almost a year and never brought up any issue with it.

But what hurt the most was that it felt like they were denying three very important parts of my identity. It hurt deeply and I had to leave soon after because I just felt sick to my stomach.

I don't really know why I'm posting this except maybe to get some encouragement. I know that those parts of my identity are still solid, including my Christianity, but it was the first time that I've ever had someone just negate my identity like that. I made me feel so alone...

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that happened. I wonder what church they are going to. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what they are saying. (Especially since if you knew enough theological history you'd know that that passage is being misinterpreted from it's original meaning and context)

All I can say is this: If God is Love then Love cannot be Sin (*hug*)

3. Dakeli27

All I can say is ignore them. She's suppressing her feelings and who she is in favor of one group's interpretation of the Bible. Also, as they can apparently pick and choose what they consider sin, point it out when they "mix fabrics" or eat shellfish.
    On another note, if you want to find an pro-LGBTQ+ group, there's a Unitarian Universalist church in Springfield. UU is basically a non religious church, and its members are from various religions, atheists, and spiritualists. It focuses on awareness, mindfulness, living a good life, and helping the homeless, disaster victims, etc. it's also very pro-LGBTQ+.

4. LadyRedRover

Thanks Kai LD :slight_smile: I don't know what church they're going to, but she says that the minister is called a prophet? I'm firm in my belief that God loves me and wants me to love others, I'm just sad that my friends reacted that way.

Thanks Dakeli27 :slight_smile: I pointed out those things to her and she agreed that those ideas were outdated but that the verse on homosexuality wasn't.

There are a few LGBT+ churches around here that I'm really considering going to, since I've had a tough time finding a church that accepts me. The UU church sounds like an excellent one for me to start out with!

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The verse in question was, long story short, a condemnation of prostitution by priests in the temple. There was a lot of this sort of thing going on in the Canaan region. People that want to be serious about the Bible should know something about where it came from and how it changed.

6. LadyRedRover

Yes. Also many people don't realize that the laws set down in Leviticus were there for a variety of reasons, including medical and symbolic.

For example, the mixing of fabrics and crops was symbolic of Jews not 'mixing' with other nations. Also, not eating pork or shellfish was a way to keep the nomadic Jewish nation healthy because they didn't have proper curing or cooking procedures. I also believe that the homosexuality verse was meant for health reasons because they couldn't take the proper precautions during that time to make sure both partners remained healthy, as well as serving as a warning against temple prostitution.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you want to be an ass, you mention Luke 17:6. It says if one has just a little faith, like a mustard seed, that they can, just by speaking, command things to do what has been spoken. The example in that verse is, a mulberry tree, and having it uproot itself and, after this, plant itself into the sea.

Tell them, you'll wait.

Also, about your "friends" saying that the verse on homosexuality isn't outdated, but the others are. Remind them of this fun little verse: Matthew 5:17. In it, Jesus, pretty much, says, that he did NOT come to change the Laws, but to fulfill them. In short, the Old Testament still holds, which means ALL of those "outdated commandments", too.

8. LadyRedRover

I love those verses, though my favorite ones to pull out to pull out are Psalms 9:9-10 and Psalms 145: 8-9