1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you end a relationship if you learnt that your partner had mental problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So a few months after we were dating I decided I should be honest about my mental health, I had once tried to kill myself and I have a form of borderline personality disorder.

Anyway he seemed cool at the time but he has told me he went to his parents and friends for advice whenever he should leave me, they convinced him to keep me but I just feel bad that he wasn't honest with me about it

2. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't, but I myself suffer from mental issues so I'm a little biased.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not for that reason. Only if I honestly felt unsafe around the other person, which is a subjective question and difficult to be certain about. I had to stop being around with a step brother, only a few months ago. He had told me several times I was his best and only friend and yet I ended up having him assault me and point a gun at me several times among other things. He has some serious problems he is not addressing, however, including a drug addiction he insists is not an addiction. edit: I believe I have a form of BPD so I get where you are coming from.

4. Dakeli27

If I felt that I was unsafe around them, maybe. Other than that, if their mental problem affected their behavior, possibly, but then it wouldn't matter whether or not I knew they had a mental problem, it would be because I felt incomparable with them. If I loved them before I learned, and it didn't make me feel u safe, I wouldn't change anything.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's such a tough question to answer. Mind you, *all* of us have issues to work through, whether big or small. So if we're talking about someone who is relatively emotionally healthy, they will likely be attracted to someone similarly healthy.

Which means that someone with whom you have mutual attraction will usually be someone who also has issues of similar depth to work on. And assuming that you are both in a place of wanting to better yourselves and do the work that requires, then each of you can be committed to the relationship and a disclosure of those sorts of issues should not get in the way.

6. Minnie

I think only if it'd gotten /so/ extreme that they weren't them anymore. But I have issues with anxiety and depression (possibly others) so I couldn't do to someone else what would hurt me in such a situation.

7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Sorry to hear about your mental health difficulties. I hope you're getting the help you need. I can see why you would feel he wasn't honest. It may be that he has had little experience of people with such problems - have you told him how you feel about speaking to other people about it all?

No, I wouldn't leave someone because I learnt that they had mental health problems. I would do what I could to help them. However, there might come a point when I would have to leave as a result of the impact of the mental health problems if, for example, they were really severe and having a massive negative impact on my life and there was nothing I could do. However, that is to do with the impact of the problems, not learning about them. Knowing that someone has them is a very different thing.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is very common in today's society for people to have issues like this. I have struggled with depression and had suicidal thoughts to the point where I thought of ways to end my life. If someone is violent and had bad personality issues it would be very hard to be with them and I probably walk away. I would without a thought help anyone in need and support anyone with mental illnesses but there comes a point where you have to think about your own self esteem and mental health and if that person is being violent or always inconsiderate I would probably not even be friends with them. Despite that I have compassion for anyone with mental issues as suicide runs in my family and stories of people committing suicide always just is a personal thing to me.

9. Intoxicating

Intoxicating Guest

Honestly it depends on how bad the mental Health issue is. If I feel I'm going to be harmed in anyway while being with you, I might have to end it, but if it is not something as severe as that Of course I'd stay.Naturally I'd help the person I was with through whatever they were going through.

10. ThePrideInside4

Of course not! I would support them all the way! I've had a lot of mentally disabled friends in the past. If my partner and I really WERE in love, why should a mental illness matter?

11. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He'll no! If a mental illness keeps people from dating then I will never find a partner, because, I'm chock full of them, and if I pushed someone away or broke up with someone because of a mental illness, then I couldn't live with myself after I did it.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends. If I thought that person could hurt me, yes I would.

13. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

If I loved him and I felt safe around him, I wouldn't. I'd try to help him and to encourage him to look for some help (psychiatrists, psychologists). People with mental disorders can have a normal life if they try to keep on going and to listen to the people who want to help them.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And I mean, I probably have mental disorders, too. But I still get lonely and need to be loved and cared for.

#14 Pret Allez, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

depends on the mental issue, if it is mild then it is how willing they are to seek help and work on it. as someone with sad brains