1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by grizzleybear33, Aug 24, 2014.

1. grizzleybear33

I met this guy on ******. I have always been anti online dating stuff but I was bored and ******ed it up a little bit and met this guy. We started talking and eventually we met up and I am starting to really like him. We live about an hour away so that was kinda difficult as it is but then I had to move away to go back to college. We are both sophomores but I go to school in Arizona and he goes to school back near where I'm from (Spokane, WA). So when I am down in Arizona I only can come home for thanksgiving, xmas, spring break and Easter so that's one issue. And another issue is he works all summer so it's hard for us to see each other even over the summer when I'm back home. We will try to see each other as often as possible but the gas money will start to add up quickly. We talked all last night and we have gotten nowhere. We both want it to work really badly but we don't know how healthy of a relationship is will be. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

I don't know why it *starred* out t i n d e r but those spots with *stars* is the word t i n d e r.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't lie - long distance relationships of the caliber you're talking about (several states away for a majority of the time) are tough, particularly so when you're in college. At that point in life, you really have to make a conscious effort to give up a certain type of experience (dating in college, etc.) to keep a relationship with someone so far away going. And obviously, the lack of physical intimacy (which includes more than, and doesn't even necessarily imply, sex) or the ability to share daily experiences is tough as well.

That said, these situations can and do work occasionally, so a couple thoughts. First of all, you both need to be happy having each other in your lives from a distance. If only rare visits during the school year isn't enough or meaningful for you at this point, the relationship can be tough to get through. Second, find some way to spend time together even if you're not in the same city - a game you can play together online, skype dates (which you should make and stick to with just as much obligation as if you were having dates in person - time together is time together), things to send each other in the mail, and so on.

If you're both from the same area originally, then in some ways there's a light at the end of the tunnel - once you're both finished with college, you have an easy opportunity to be much closer, which isn't always an option when you meet someone who is just from a drastically different place than you. So, if you have that "end date" to the distance, that can help give you each a sort of goal to work towards.

Basically, think about what you're giving up, what you can get in the meantime, and the potential you see here. If you're happy with the equation, carry on. :slight_smile:

3. grizzleybear33