1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm in love with my unavailable friend.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OrwellOrgana, Aug 24, 2014.

1. OrwellOrgana

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ive only realised this year that im bi or more likely lesbian. i haven't told that many people because I'm still trying to work out exactly what's going on for myself. the 1st person I told was a friend of mine who is quite confidently out and has been for several years. she has been very supportive during my 'transitional working myself out' period. however over the last few months I've felt a shift in our friendship. i've started developing feelings for her and it seems she likes me also. we're on the same swimming team and often catch each other secretly looking at each other during trainings and meets. we've been spending almost every day together and message each other every day even though we already see each other all the time. we've been alot more touchy and we've both been dropping things just to spend a little bit of time with each other. we've started to get a little bit flirty towards each other but it's on and off as it seems we're both very aware of one major thing.. she has a girlfriend. a long term girlfriend. i've been trying to fight my feelings for her and keep our friendship, but its hard. she's been having some really huge issues in her relationship for the past few months and i cant work out if the time we are spending together is because she needs a supportive friend or because shes starting developing feelings for me also.

i dont know what to do. i know that nothing can/will ever happen while she has a gf. we're not those sort of people. i just want her to be happy. if that means sorting things out with her gf, then so be it. ill be the friend that she needs to talk to when she needs to. however i dont know what to do to make myself happy. i often put other people needs in front of my own and end up very sad or feeling left out.

all i know is right now im confused and feeling like i dont know what to do. i'd like to be able to turn my feelings off (because it sucks liking someone who is unavailable and its not something id ever willingly do) but its hard when we spend so much time together. being with her is the only thing that is making me happy right now so i dont know what to do :icon_sad:

2. Mr D Gamer

That's a hard decision to make organa, it sounds like you should either tell her you have feelings for her but want to stay friends (which might be awkward at first but is worth doing), or keeping quiet and being supportive for her and her girlfriend. let her know you only want her to be happy and that you'll stick by her because you care.

Just to be sure, having feelings for a friend is perfectly normal and if she is a good friend she will understand as you haven't been out to her for very long either, just take things slowly and be patient before you do anything too drastic.

Also, I don't want to be mean but being in a relationship with someone you see every single day might be kind of awkward after a while so i wouldn't recommend it. Just my opinion its your choice :slight_smile:

#2 Mr D Gamer, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. OrwellOrgana

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Thanks Mr D Gamer. That's great advice. i think I should probably stay quiet and allow her to decide what she wants without complicating things for her. i just wish I knew how she was feeling. My actions could either turn into something great or something really terrible :frowning2:

4. offmychest

offmychest Guest

unavailable = offlimits = move on to someone who is available

5. OrwellOrgana

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know that. This is why my original post is about getting advice on how to move on without ruining our friendship. Liking someone who is unavailable is not what I want to be doing.