1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is cutting ties with an ex a good idea?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wanderinggirl, Aug 25, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

I think about my ex rarely. She's expressed interest in being good friends in the past, which I would love, but she doesn't seem to reach out as much as I have been. We broke up months ago... and though I don't want to get back with her I haven't quite moved on.

I feel that she's dictating the terms of our friendship, just as she dictated the terms of the relationship, and lately I've started to feel really sad about her but also for her, because she wanted to reciprocate feelings but she just didn't, and the breakup was awful for me. And then she said she wanted to be friends but I don't think her heart is in it. But at the same time, the last time we hung out as friends was pretty great.

I can't seem to let her go entirely, but I think that means that I should. I'm beginning to suspect that friendship with her is keeping me from entirely opening my heart up to someone new.

Is it on me to stay friends with her? To maintain those ties?