1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

co-dependent issues?????

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wolf123, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I have co-dependency issues. I always talking to my doctor about this because I just know how I feel some times doesn't seem right. Or the things I do such as being closed off with others has always got to me. There are many other things I do such as feel unsure of if I should feel a specific way. Example, I texted someone asking if it was okay I missed them. Or I usually become rather distant when it comes to intimacy or physical closeness. In a way I feel ashamed for having feelings sometimes. Its kind of like I need someones permission to say its okay to be upset or something. Or if I have feelings for someone I feel weird because I know what they will want if I ever tried to be with them. Example, I have a crush and she has mentioned kissing me-scares the hell out of me. Lets just say I want to, but I am so scared I will do something wrong. I hear people say how much she cares about me and that part scares me as well.I guess its one extra thing I need to work on. I also like to help others which I guess helps me feel like I am worth something in someone's life. I just really like the idea of making someones day :slight_smile: especially a person I care for.

I guess some back story. My childhood I spent more time making sure my mom was okay especially since my father was an alcoholic and abusive-haven't seen him for 10 plus years now. Most of my childhood I also spent on caring for my sister who was sick. Right now I feel weird that I am facing this, but trying to face it head on so I can try and do better.

I did like what my family doctor said and that was while I may screw up by maybe being distant with others; its likely not who I am, but rather the fear I have inside of me. She said I need to work on feeling and trusting myself which I hope I can start to do better with. Is anyone else facing anything similar or would like to tell their story?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My story is similar to yours... in large parts...

Yes but it can be learned to be balanced... finding a balance between one's own needs and other's needs.
    Maybe especially women have this issues from time to time...
    it can be learned and balanced.
    Maybe a bit a relaxed and laid.back attitude helps...

Communicating it I think is often important.. also in a balanced way, in my opinion... friendly but decisive, if necessary...

This is a imO great quote from another thread:

Yes. I think this inner feeling of what is right for one is important. But being aware, it can be trained.