1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm gay and my sister is pan. Family advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KinoQuard, Aug 30, 2014.

1. KinoQuard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I posted something about coming out advice like 2 weeks ago but something awesome happened when I came out to my sister. So, I came out to her through text and she was so accepting. But guess what. She came out to me too! She's pansexual! :O I really wasn't expecting that, and it's not like it upset me or anything, I'm happy and very accepting of her, but my parents' only children are me and her. What if she gets married/partners to someone who identifies as a woman (transwoman, or ciswoman) and my parents will have two children in a committed relationship with their own gender. I really was thinking that she would be straight so that my parents could defenitely have at least one "socially-acceptable" child. I'm really happy for her, but I just feel bad for my parents. All of my family on each side except one of my uncles on my dads' is LGBTQ-phobic. They'll get talked about behind their backs and stuff. I mean, I was fine if there was a possibility of people abandoning me, because it's something I was prepared to do, but I just feel bad for my sister is all. I don't want her to have to go through what I'll have to go through. I just wish the world was more accepting...then neither of us would have to go through this. Also, what were the chances of us being LGBT? I don't know if that was a coincidence or something genetic, but we also both realized that we liked our own gender at the same age. I realized I was gay at age 11 and she realized she was pansexual at age 11. That's the start of puberty but still, all of this is such a weird coincidence. I don't know, like I said, I'm happy for her but I just don't know how I feel about all of this. Every time I think about this whole situation, I just get this weird, uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Any advice?

2. Ryujin

A) you're really lucky to have a sibling who understands you, I feel happy for you

B) what do you mean "socially-acceptable"? Who you are is fully acceptable. It's a part of you, it's who you love and no one can stop you! Your parents should still love you no matter who you are attracted to and they should be accepting if you and your sister.