1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have trouble finding friends in real life.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BearLover, Aug 30, 2014.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's me that is the problem, whenever someone has trouble making friends they usually think they are to blame for it, I don't think it's that.

I find it quite hard to make friends because it seems that everyone new in my life is an idiot, I'm not saying this because I am intolerant of people, I'm willing to accept flaws in people but it seems that most of the people I have met are idiots, I find it very hard to find someone that is a genuine person, most people aren't like the people I meet online. Many people online are intelligent, genuine, funny, laid back etc. but in real life I just find it hard to find anyone that's a decent person, few people show me respect, many of the people I went to school with were bullies and it seems like I have so many fake friends (acquaintances). Most people put on a fake smile and pretend to like you but deep down their is no connection, why is that? I don't usually have much in common with most people and I think some people think I'm weird.

I have friends in esoteric/occult groups online and I actually think I've met the best people ever in my life, nobody has been so awesome, these people are great. I also find that people on this forum are very nice intelligent people also. People tell me I should get out more and I would like to, it's just that I don't really have much friends in real life, I have one friend but now that he has a girlfriend doesn't spend hardly any time with me and the other friend doesn't have the money too, we all lack money to do stuff.

But yeah, like next to everyone I meet just seems like a dick, they seem OK at first but once you've been around them for a bit longer they just seem like idiots or the ice doesn't break with people. Everyone got along with me when I first started working at a restaurant but they all turned on me eventually, I got on with a few chefs but I didn't even have to say anything to get on the wrong side of them, people seem to fall out over the smallest things, I'm prepared to overlook flaws in people but usually others are intolerant, they just fall out with people over the smallest things, in my last work placement I kept on being hit by the boss, they all talked about me behind my back, they didn't like the fact I had a little bit of money (I didn't think they would become jealous). The people were homophobic, they were horrible.

It seems that people are like this now, we're all too aggressive and get worked up over silly little things, trolling has become popular because people get worked up so easily, trolling is a new thing because the trolls know they can get a reaction from everyone that easily, they do it because they know everyone gets worked up over the slightest things, they don't even have to troll, people work themselves up.

But like they can give me hell, I don't usually get wound up by people but at my last workplace they were horrible. I hated it and constantly felt bad, I've become cynical and I feel as if I hate society altogether, from what they've said and done to me I just feel like saying "Fuck this world, I want to see it burn." that's how I've been treated, it's not me that's the problem, it's the people I find in life, they've made me become cynical.

I'm not just saying this because I hate everyone in the world, I find that some people are genuinely good people, but I see a huge difference in people online compared to people in real life. I dislike most people I've met in real life but when meeting people online they are great.

Everywhere around me I see horrible people, my mums friends have caused her loads of grief and don't respect her, my sister gives me hell now that I've lost my job, she complains to me now that I'm unemployed even though I'm searching for a job again, my sisters boyfriend had a problem with me, my ex foster parents have arguments with me etc. It seems that my life is so full of horrible stuck up people, everywhere I go everyone is stuck up. They try to control me and I always go home feeling bad. They're all like this. When I'm alone with people they will respect me but around others they turn horrible. Why is this?

Smarter people tend to have better personalities while stupid people are just annoying and horrible. Take for example college, I met some nice people there. But working at a restaurant they were horrible. I think stupidity has a connection with a horrible personality. I talk to people that are INTP's and they are good people, I talk to other intelligent occultists and they are also good people, most here are introverts yet again they are good people. Real life is full of horrible extraverts that don't give a damn about you, they are selfish and heartless usually, it's western culture.

#1 BearLover, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the same boat as you tbh so i cant say how to help out , I also find the best people online my online friendships never die and are always the best i could ever ask for but then irl everyone i seem to meet or become "friends" with arent really who they first seem to be and use me for one thing or another and it always seems one sided like all the effort is given by me! and when i stop the friendship does as they dont bother. I would like to also know what other people think on this maybe it is just hard for everyone to find genuine friendship, baffles me.

3. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, very true.

4. Really

I think there's quite a difference between making friends online and irl. Online there is no superficial factors to deal with. None. You're there for a shared purpose. You can't see what anyone looks like (initially) so can't form a "first impression". People can just be themselves and you learn what they're honestly like and where they're "coming from". (Here, especially, I would imagine.)

IRL it takes much longer to get to this depth of knowledge of a person. Unfortunately, some people are just too shallow, characterwise, that they rub us the wrong way. Especially if we have more capacity for empathy. We just need to use more "tools" to make live friends. Can't help you with what "tools", though.

Just something to think about.

5. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. On online forums the people you interact with always seem better then real life
    human beings, probably because online interactions are abstract.It's just a bunch of
    letters, texts, numbers, that make us feel better ( or worse) at the moment but
    there is no real weight in them.

6. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent most of my early teen years alone and friendless. It wasn't until I was about 16 that I ended up making myself go out more and meet new people. I was scared shitless to do it because I'm quite shy, but I made myself do it and I now have some amazing friends! Once you've overcome the first hurdle, the rest is a lot easier

7. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only comment I have based on what I have read, OP, is that you seem judgmental. I can't know how you interact with others without more information. It would be very useful to forming a better response to your statements. I fear, and this is speculation, that you may give off an air of superiority to those around you that is unintentional but still off-putting.
    I apologize if my comments seem rude, but they are meant to be an honest opinion based on your post.

8. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Stop commenting on my posts please.

9. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a public forum. Perhaps it would be best to solicit opinions from people you can control if you do not wish to hear from people? It seems like you don't want advice, at any time, you want confirmation of your opinions and thoughts. That is not what I am here to do for anyone. Please have a good day.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've broken it down, and made it very simple for you. See?

Look at the parts in bold (the part in green, just seemed oddly contradicting).

Read them out loud.

Think about them, too.

Now, ask yourself, would YOU be friendly with anyone, who thought or was like that?