1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a part-time job.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by don29002, Aug 31, 2014.

1. don29002

So, I'm 18 now.
    Everyone around me is suggesting that I get a job.
    They think I just sit on my ass all day and do absolutely nothing.

I'm a Youtuber, vlogger, songwriter and poet. I've been so focused on trying ways to get exposure and being recognised for my body of poetry and song work--not getting a job.
    I want to make money in other ways besides working. A user here on EC suggested I start doing open mic nights. The problem with that is I'm somehow scared to read my poetry out loud to people.
    I guess I should conquer my fear before attempting an open mic.

The reason I don't want to get a second job (my first job was doing admissions at Six Flags) is because I hate working. My true dream is to make money getting my songs and book published, etc.
    If I do get a job, it's not because I want a job. It's due to the fact that everyone around me wants me to have one. So I want to work so that my family and friends can shut up about me not having a job. I'm not getting a job to make myself happy; I'm getting one to make everyone else happy.