1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend Afraid to Tell Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by EmmyLou, Sep 1, 2014.

1. EmmyLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My girlfriend and I have been together for almost six months. Things were hard in the beginning, since for both of us it was our first experience with a girl and we were trying to deny it. But for a while, things have been great. We both like each other very much, and we've kept it hidden from our parents. We have always been afraid of our parents finding out, but since we're at college it's been easy to hide it. Recently, however things changed. My girlfriend is now very afraid of her parents finding out, and she admitted that she didn't know if she could ever tell them. As much as she likes me, she isn't sure if this is the future she wants. She said she doesn't want to end things, but she seems so conflicted. She also had a relapse with her eating disorder, which only makes it all worse. I care about her very much. I'm so happy when I'm with her, and I know she's happy with me. I don't know what to do, and I don't know what to tell her. Whether I should fight for us to stay together or let her make the choice by herself.

2. Blossom85

I think you need to think about what you want, what makes you happy and what makes you feel safe and content.. And if your heart is strong enough to deal with possibly losing her if she feels like she can't do it or isn't sure of what she wants.. If you want to fight for her, the you need to be ready to deal with all that will come with that, bad and good times alike.. I think don't force her to choose, just tell you are there for her, just show her you are being supportive of her.. However if it does come a time when she really feels like she doesn't want to have a future with a woman and to her she is just filling time till she meets a guy she thinks she can be with, then you need to walk away so that you can find the person you are meant to be with.. You don't wanna spend your life fighting for someone who doesn't want to fight for you or is too scared of living her life because she is worried about people's reactions..

3. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait til she gets her own place and is financially stable

4. Candace

The best bet would be for her to get her own place, like Rosepetal stated above. That way, if her parents take the news badly, which is always a possibility, then she has somewhere to go and can support herself without their help.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it will really help her make a clear decision if she feels financially and physically independent.