1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does One Handle Bigotry?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Shinoda, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Shinoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a Christian. I am bisexual. Other Christians try to "pray away the gay" for me, so to speak. They always tell me they hope I am not "deceived by the enemy".

How do I handle bigotry? :bang:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm a Christian and I'm gay, so that must make us the enemy within... just like all the the other LGBT Christians (and our army of supporters) :slight_smile:

I know some people would just say walk away from Jesus, but that's not really helpful unless you, as an individual, really want to go down that route. I understand that some people don't believe and that's their choice and their right, but some of us want to continue to exercise our right to believe, while living openly as LGBT and the good news is - we can.

I think you have to use do your own reading and research and find Christian Churches or groups that affirm, rather than reject LGBT people.. and there are literally thousands of them. The bigotry that is prevalent in the more conservative and evangelical Churches simply doesn't exist in the more liberal Churches, where scripture is considered in greater context. What you have probably heard so far, is an entirely literal interpration of The Bible with no effort to examine the deeper meaning or historical context. Don't be taken in by that approach.

You can't pray the gay away or undergo treatment to rid your body or mind of same sex feeling or attraction. It's been widely discredited and many of the so called therapists are a laughing stock.

Just know that there are Christians who take a very different view to what you have heard so far. Seek them out and take comfort from them.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Laugh.

I used to be offended, but honestly, I've heard it so much that it's actually starting to be amusing.

Still get angry, though, when people keep pushing it - which I imagine is what you're struggling with right now. I think, in that case, you'll just have to block them out. Don't listen to them. Distract yourself - something.

4. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to have some Christian friends who wanted to pray for me or draw me into debates because I'm a non-believer. I used to say something like "Thank you for being concerned for me. No, I don't mind if you pray for me." Then I would change the topic, or excuse myself if they wouldn't drop it.

And, yes, I agree with Linco that you'll feel much more at home if you can find an LGBT affirming church.

5. mangotree

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some of them are failing miserably.