1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS Crush?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by brbrow5, Sep 6, 2014.

1. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all! So I am a Senior in HS and am still in the closet to the student body, even though I'm sure there are some people that suspect. Anyway, we just started up at school for the year and in my lunch I was fixated on this guy. He showed some signs of being gay, even if they are just stereotypes. For example, he sits at a lunch table with all other girls, his mannerisms, and being friends with a group of girls that all treat him as if they are dating but they are not. Plus, he just gives off that vibe. Idk. But, he is a grade lower than me and the only time I have a class with him is in lunch. How would you guys approach this situation. One, on actually meeting him/ becoming friends with him. Two, on discovering if he is indeed gay and then proceeding further. We do have some mutual friends. I just friended him on FB and Instagram and the following night he followed me on twitter, which shows that he at least knows that I exist. Sorry for bothering you guys with this petty stuff, but I don't know how I should go this.

2. Blayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, I'm also a senior in high school! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Based on everything you said, it seems like there could be a possibility that's he's gay, but I guess that is sort of stereotypical. If you really want to know for sure, send him a Facebook message. In terms of what to say, maybe you could say that you two have mutual friends and you saw him at lunch. I don't know, I'm not really good with this kind of stuff but I wanted to try to at least somewhat help you out. Hopefully what I said helps you to some degree!

3. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! Thanks for responding. About the FB message, I don't know if I wanna go that root, as it seems too direct and since I've never talked to him before, he could be like wtf this guy is so weird. I know, my observations are so stereotypical, but I've come to realize that we have to be in this situation. I also talked to my other friend, who knows I'm gay, and she said she thinks he is as well, without knowing I was interested in him. I think I might try to stand next to him in the lunch line, hopefully with someone we both know, try to initiate a conversation and go from there. I don't wanna weird him out. Do you think that is a good idea?

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

Also, when he added me on twitter after i friended him on other social media accounts, it was at around midnight when he followed me. I feel like its a good sign that he sought out my profile at that time of night, or it means nothing lol

#3 brbrow5, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another high school senior here. Let's throw a party!

I would agree that there is a possibility that he is gay. I know that I showed some of those same characteristics; hanging out with a group of girls, having friends whom everyone thought I was dating.

About actually meeting him: do you know any of the girls he hangs out with? If so, do you think you would be comfortable asking one of them to introduce you to him? If you're not comfortable with that, you could always just approach the group at lunch or something and say hi to him then. Make an effort to hang out with that group if you know someone in it.
    On figuring out if he's interested in guys: This is the tricky part, as nobody wants to just waltz up to someone and ask if they're gay, and nobody wants someone to do that to them. I would say just watch and listen; see if you catch him looking at you or other guys, see if he says anything about other guys. He may be out to that group and may say things around them that would give you a clue to his interests. You can also use the classic method of Facebook stalking. Look at the "About" tab of his profile and see what his "Interested In" status shows. There's a chance that if he is into guys, he might have it posted there and that would save you the trouble of asking.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Be sure to update us if you find out!

5. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol we should! Anyway, both parts are tricky because I'm not good friends with anyone in that group because they are all juniors. Also, none of them know I'm gay as I'm only out to a very very select few in my school. Not even my close friends know. It's kinda the norm at my school that even if you are blatantly gay, which I do not think I am, you keep it to yourself and get by until graduation. I did stalk his FB profile, lol, and his interest says women, but so does mine so that doesn't mean anything. It's very tricky and I don't even know how I would go about finding out if he's gay as it wasn't til the last half of my junior year that I was even comfortable telling my mother let alone someone I just met at the beginning of the year. I assume he will be on a similar track, but who knows? Your tips were very helpful, though. I will absolutely keep you updated. I don't know why but he is all I can think about and I've never even met him lol. This has never happened to me before

#5 brbrow5, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've got it bad for a junior as well, but luckily for me he's someone I know pretty well. That and I see him every day at cross-country practice (Shirtless, too. Great abs.), so we talk quite a bit. I wouldn't say I'm "blatantly gay," but I would say that if you know what you're looking for you can figure it out. He knows I'm bi, but not that I like him (although I want to tell him because it's driving me nuts not telling him).

Does he do any extra-curriculars? You could always join a club or group that he's in to try and get to know him better. That's a good part of the reason I know my friend; we ran track together in middle school and I got to know him there. I think the fact that he found your Twitter feed at around midnight is a positive sign, but that might just be because I think the only things that should be taken care of online after 10:00 are things you really care about (hence this message). But just because you don't know someone doesn't mean you can't. My best friend (not the guy above; this is a girl) is someone I would never have gotten to know had she not dated a member of my swim team two years ago. Now, we're practically inseparable. So just go for it. I'll try to keep following this thread and we can keep talking, or you can message me if you want to.

7. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We seem pretty similar. I ran cross-country too, though stopped this year because I wanted to enjoy my senior year, lol (practices were brutal and I wasn't enjoying it anymore). I was gonna go back to soccer, which I used to play, but decided against it. Unfortunately, I come to find out that he is on the soccer team, so its safe to say I'm really regretting it. And that's awesome about your friend on the XC team. There's no hurt in confessing your feelings to him, especially if he already knows your bi. I always feel like whenever you have that feeling that you need to get something off your chest, that is the correct time to do it.

8. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is my first year running XC. I'm mostly doing it to stay in shape for swimming, which is my main sport, but also because the coach was my English teacher for two years and I really like her. Plus, you know, added bonus above. I used to play soccer too, but I stopped after 8th grade when I got my referee license. So now I just referee 3rd through 8th grade games and get paid to do it. When I'm out of high school I'm going to get my OHSAA license for both soccer and swimming and officiate in college for some extra cash. But yeah, it kind of sucks that you missed out on that one, especially since you played in the past. You can still go watch games though. Maybe get to know him there.

9. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you by any chance know any of the girls he is friends with?

Your profile says you are partially out already, so if you knew one of the girls, you could ask her if he has told them / they think he is gay?

10. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, since he is a junior I don't know his friends well and am not out to them. I am only out to a select few friends and family and the friends that I am out to are seniors, who don't know him that well. My one friend does think he is gay though. She says he gives off that vibe lol

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

That's true about the games as I have played with a lot of people on the team in the past. And it could be a great way to initiate a conversation as well. Most people at my school wear their uniform to school for games so if he does, I could ask what position he plays and then go from there.

#10 brbrow5, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  11. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, we do that same thing with the uniforms. Sounds like you have the perfect excuse now to talk to this guy. Good luck! What position did you play? I always played midfield or defense.

12. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played center-back. And yes I do, hopefully the opportunity arises tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

13. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Day one of trying to meet this kid did not go well. Of course I walk into the lunch room and there he is standing in line by himself. I went up and stood behind him (he was facing forward) only to realize that I packed my lunch and it was foolish to be standing in line when I wasn't even buying anything lol. So I sat down and periodically went up to get napkins and stuff in the hopes that he would be there too. Idk its only the fourth day of school and we are bound to talk at some point.

14. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oops, that's kind of embarrassing! Oh well, I'm sure you'll get another chance to talk to him soon. Hey, maybe he picked up on what was going on and thought it was cute or something. You might already be on the way!

15. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No he didn't see me bc he was facing forwards lol but I know I then got out of line looked over to the register to see what was up front (they sell snacks at the front of the line), then I went to the snack bar. I was only there for like 2 seconds and it wasn;t like I had my brown bag in hand lol. Nevertheless, yes it was a little embarrassing and I'm just rationalizing.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2014 at 04:27 PM ----------

On the bright side, he liked my instagram post yesterday! I'm aware that means nothing lol

16. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, well. I've been lucky enough not to do anything overly embarrassing in front of the guy I like, although there were some times in middle school when I did some really embarrassing stuff in front of girls. I mean, not even funny embarrassing. So even if you do end up doing some stupid things, it can't be too awful. Like I said, there's always the chance that if he sees you, he'll find it cute :slight_smile:

17. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe haha. I will try again tomorrow hopefully it goes well!

18. SomeNights

So, not a high school Sr. anymore.....about 4 years or so past that. However, I did have crush in high school and to this day one of my biggest "regrets"(I hate that word) is that I never really talked to him about my sexuality or interest in him.

What I can say is you've got less than a year left: just do it. You've honestly have very little to lose and a lot to gain. Take it form a person who's been there and wishes I would have just brought it up with my guy. >.>

As far as how, just message him on facebook say something like "Hi, saw you liked xyz on instagram, Do you think the US has a chance at the cup this year?" You don't have to and shouldn't go the direct "OMG ARE YOU GAY? CAN I DATE YOU?". I find myself saying this time and time again, but you should try and become his friend before you go for the boyfriend title.

Oh and just so I don't sound like the old guy "I wish I would've back in my day". I still talk with my HS crush and there is still a chance I'll have that conversation with him one day. :slight_smile:

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also agree that you need to take some risks. If I as an intensely closeted sophomore from a religious immigrant family could summon the courage to call up a Senior guy I wasn't even close friends with, then you can talk to this guy.

As somenights described, send the FB message. Why did you friend him if not to contact him? The longer you wait, the more awkward it becomes to get close to him.

20. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really really appreciate that SomeNights and resu! I guess I didn't really look at it that way. I don't know I just feel like I should wait a little bit before doing that and try to get to know him in person first idk though. Anyone else have thoughts? Having said that, I talked to him today in the lunch line. I was in line, he then came up in line behind me. We went through the line and towards the end i turned to him and said "(insert name) right?" and he said yes and then I said something about him playing on the soccer team and about how I was bummed bc I used to play and all the kids on my old team were playing this year. He said "Oh really, why did you stop?" I told him that I decided to do cross-country instead. At that point, I had already payed for my food and just left (it would have been creepy to wait for him to pay), but I realized I never even introduced myself. Overall, the convo was full of nervous energy (on both parts I felt), but I was happy I did it.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

Also, resu how did it work out for you when you did that? Was the senior that you called up out to the school/ did you have info prior to doing it?
    edit: nvm I just read the blog on your page and WOW you have some major guts. I could never do that. Hypothetically, I send him a FB message. What does it say? Also, would that make any interaction we might have in person awkward?

#20 brbrow5, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014