1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family is pressuring me to be a straight female. >_<

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PlantSoul, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family doesn't know that I'm trans and asexual. I've considered telling them to get them to stop with all of this nonsense but, the cons outweigh the pros.

The main person who is doing the poking and prodding is my maternal grandmother. I assume that she has been doing this since 1. She probably always believed me to be gay and 2. Perhaps, because other people we know may have been asking her about my dating history and subsequently acted strangely when they found out that I still wasn't dating anyone.

Earlier this year, she desperately attempted to get me to date this creepy guy who seemed to be younger than me. After the issue with him, she stopped the dating the BS for awhile until recently.

A few weeks ago, she was talking to my mother about me one day getting married and having kids. This really pissed me off, because I have stated time and time again that I don't plan to have any kids. I told her didn't want to have any and the two got silent for awhile.

It was either that week or the week afterwards when we went shopping that she asked if I had gotten a "feel" of the cart dude. (Me and him spent some time alone putting the groceries in the car. Nothing naughty.) The question weirded me out and she claimed that she was trying to make sure that there was nothing creepy about this guy, unlike the one previous.

After shopping last week, I was helping my mother to put away the groceries when she started talking nonsense about the cashier. She claimed that my grandmother told her that he gave us a lot of discounts and that it was probably because, I am very pretty and he likes me. Then, she proceeds to giddily ask me if I like him or not. I don't. Admittedly, I looked in his direction a lot, but only because I was looking at his clothes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I hate that they are doing this. Now I am going to have to dread innocent situations around men. I don't get why this crusade is starting now. I don't have any time for a relationship, and they should know this.

I don't do well when I get bombarded with questions on this subject and I can't keep using the same excuses, even if they are true, forever. I really need some advice. :eek:

2. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Overall it doesn't seem that bad. This is typical for families, there just pressuring you because they're just trying to sway you out of the single life. All they seem to want is the best for you and also hopes of extending the family (in the near future)...

The problem is that you haven't directly explained to them your sexuality and gender.
    If you want all this to stop just explain it to them each individually making sure they fully understand who you are and what you want out of life.

3. Really

Gender and sexuality factors aside, you could just say that discussing your mating goals with your mother or grandmother is creepy/not going to happen so please stop.
    If they're insistent, you could promise to tell them if anything important happens on that front.

4. soulcatcher

I am in a similar situation, except that I am already out to them.

5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its hard when people do that, but you're not ready to come out yet. My mom keeps telling me I need a girlfriend, and I'm trying to discreetly hint I'm not interested.

You might try "I'm not interested in being in a relationship WITH A BOY right now." That w you aren't screaming that you like women, but they might leave you alone at least for the time being.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother actually isn't too much an problem. Besides asking me questions about what my type is, she seems to be understanding of me not dating at this time. She is not pressuring me.

Her mother is a very difficult person. She has always seemed to believe that my personal life is her personal business. I've told her many times that my personal life is none of her business and she always gets mad, bringing up some nonsense about it being her concern since we are related. Chances are that if I tell her to shut it, that she's going to get very offended and bombard me sneaky probing questions on my sexuality. :bang:

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2014 at 04:37 AM ----------

I wish it was that simple, but they are old fashioned and religious. My mother is the least threatening, but her views on the LGBT community change at the drop of the hat. One minute we were born this way and the next, we are delusional. Now, she may understand if I tell her that I am asexual. We've talked about asexuality before and she didn't have a hard time grasping the concept.

Her mother is a lost cause. She freaks out over anything that goes against the norm, if it's coming from her family.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2014 at 04:40 AM ----------

Thanks. :slight_smile: