1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't believe I'm making a thread about this...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kabuki, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Kabuki

Well, as the most popular topic for this section, I want to ask your opinion on something related to a guy that I find attractive.

He's a year younger than me, so he's 20, and we study at the same university. I've seen him a couple times on the past years but I never initiated any talking. This guy (lets call him Karl) haves a mutual friend with me (lets call him Angel) so I know a few about Karl from what Angel has told me and what I've seen. He also had a girlfriend, not anymore from what Angel told me.

I believe Karl is gay or, at least, not completely straight. I think like this because of the following:

-Stereotypical, I know, but he's always surrounded by girls. In fact, from something I heard while being close to a table near him and his girl friends, one of the girls likes him but they were talking as if he would never like her. It could be she's not his type, or him being gay, but the way they talked felt more like him being gay or bi.

-He's, supposedly, very homophobic. My friend said that he doesn't like being touched by guys, and we are not only talking about flirty touches, but also normal contact. Once my friend tried to help him clean his shirt, after he dropped liquid on it, and Karl was all "don't touch me". I just find this very weird.

-I've seen him looking at me, even more obvious, this past weeks where I've been very close to his place of hanging out. But it's not only me, he also follows with his gaze some attractive guys when they pass by.

-Another thing that feels strange is that even if he says he's homophobic, when gay guys are around (one of his girl friends know many gay guys) he seems to look at them with an expression of interest, like wanting to be free like them? I'm not really sure that's the case but, he does look at them, not with hateful eyes, but very honest eyes in some way.

-There's also this picture he haves on FB where someone drew a heart with lipstick on his car, and one of his friends said "what if it was a guy?" like some sort of teasing. This one is not really that important though.

-The last one could be an interpretation of his supposed homophobia being not really hate towards gays but more like internal homophobia and hating that he finds guys attractive. I obviously have no evidence for this, just speculation.

Anyways, I really would like to become friends with him. I mean, he likes to draw, plays guitar and we seem to share interest. Of course, if he is gay or bi, I would like to try for something more but I'm okay with normal friendship. My friend Angel (who knows I'm gay) said that I should add him on facebook and talk to him (Karl) and see what happens. The problem is we only have that mutual friend and nothing more, and if he is indeed homophobic he might not accept my request because I'm completely out on FB too.

So, do you guys have any insight or advice? I'll appreciate any thought, and if you need more clarifications, I will answer to the best of my abilities. Thank you guys for reading the long post. Love you! :thumbsup:

2. Gen

Gen

If you are fine with simply being his friend regardless, than I would stop concentrating on figuring out his sexuality and focus on becoming his friend. If he happens to be LGBTQ and is attracted to you, then something will probably come from it with time. There is just no point in obsessing over that possibility at this point.

Regardless of whether he is LGBTQ, he still may or may not accept your request. Many people prefer to get to know people before they add them on social media. Why don't you arrange something with the mutual friend, or tag along the next time they will be seeing each other?

3. Kabuki

I agree, I shouldn't obsess to much, although I would definitely like for something more to come out or our friendship, I do think I should focus on that aspect instead of his sexuality.

Right again, I guess I'm just being on the defensive since it would kind of hurt if he rejected the request simply because I'm gay and he doesn't (from what he said) like gay people. Tagging along though won't be possible since this semester they rarely see each other, but maybe I can take a chance since I do see him on the same place the same days.

Thanks Gen! I really appreciate it. If someone haves a different opinion feel free to state them, I would like to hear different views on this.