1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Felt like hell

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I went to the ER in order to get anxiety medication because I am on a waiting list to see a therapist and I needed medication so I went there for a seven hour wait with my bf and it nearly killed me. The first mistake I made today was remembering never putting my mother down as a emergency contact and never go to a emergency room again unless necessary for me. So my mother calls all freaked out which is justified and here I am shocked in the private room in the emergency room and thinking who told my mother. The emergency wing denied calling my mother and said I am a adult so that they cannot do and I found out a mental health social worker called them. I don't even know this social worker but I was ticked. And to top it off my mom asked me when I am coming back home and if I was in the emergency room because I got beat up by my boyfriend. i understand I been gone for a year and that sucks for them but they drove me away and still they think this is some "chapter" in my life that will end and the only thing they will pay for is a plane ticket home according to my dad. This has nothing to do with homophobia as my parents accept me but they think my bf is scum for no good reason at all but he is older than me.

2. WannaBeMe

We'll I know that I don't know how you feel because I've never been through this but all I can say is either try to show them that your boyfriend is a good person or just let them grow out of it. One or the other will happen. Just trust me parents should love you unconditionally no matter what and they should realize that eventually. Maybe you can try telling them all the nice things that your boyfriend does for you. And do it continually but not exactly direct. I hope this helps, and all I can say about your anxiety is I hope you feel better soon.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a year and a half. I have not died or anything like that. I ran away for a reason and yeah I left without telling them first. I been dating this guy since december of 2012 so its been awhile. I pray they eventually give it up but every now and than they call and say we will give you a plane ticket if you want to come home. It is just sad and what parent would paint their child's significant other as this evil human being if they did not have bad intentions. The whole thing parents love their kids unconditionally thing is just shit to me.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I'm really sorry that you had to go through both the experience of waiting as well as having your mother contacted, not to mention the anxiety that brought you there in the first place. That's a lot of things to deal with, any one of which could make you feel like crap. I haven't experienced what you've been through, but I can get some sense of what it must be like, and it doesn't feel good. I'm glad at least this part of it is over for now.

You are a legal adult. The social worker committed a pretty serious ethical violation by contacting your parent without your permission. If it would help to give you closure, I would suggest it might be worth a converation with the social worker and his/her supervisor, and if you don't get the sort of resolution or sense that they know they fucked up, you might consider filing a formal complaint.