1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, suddenly ran out of a room last night

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sotv, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Background

So, I recently started University and things have been going great, loads of nice people and all LGBT friendly after explaining that I was infact gay. I have made at least 10-15 friends in the first week and even got a few hundred people going mad at karaoke (probably also due to alcohol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I have very close friends from home who are family to me, we've been through a whole load of stuff together from attempted suicide to divorce(neither of which were me). Despite this I haven't been missing them too much because I am keeping in touch via facetime. My boyfriend isn't really talking to me very much but I know he's busy and I'm kind of used to it by now. I miss going to the football a lot, it sounds silly but I've grown up with a family of 28,000 football fans and now they're just suddenly gone. In terms of studies I know I will be doing a lot but I am also a hard worker so that's ok.

what happened
    I lay down in bed last night and after about twenty minutes I involuntarily ran outside my bedroom into the street and just escaped (that's what it felt like) but I have no idea why I did it.

Anyone been through something similar or heard of this before? It's happened a few times.

Mods can feel free to move this if necessary.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a sort of variation on a panic attack? What thoughts were happening at the same time?

3. Gen

Gen

Was there anything that you recall running from?

It sounds like a hypnopompic hallucination. Panic attacks are most often brought on by some forms of stress and anxiety. Hypnopompic hallucinations are abrupt experiences of terror or distress within the period that the mind is transitioning into sleep. Sometimes there are tied to psychological disorders, but sometimes they can be brought on by random, non-serious factors. I used to receive them every few months a couple of years ago, but they haven't resurfaced for a while.

For now, I would just keep a mental record of any future occurrence and visit a professional in the case that they continue. If they don't continue, or they happen only a couple of times a year, than they are likely being caused by minor factors that you can work towards becoming more aware of.

4. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In terms of what I recall I just thought "what the f**k, i need to get out and be somewhere else".

I get them probably once a month. I have had them before when I was sitting in a car with my mum casually talking and I just flung open the door and ran to the spot where me and my friends used to hang out before they moved away even though it was like two miles away.

No thoughts were happening but that day I had been having problems with my boyf, received lots of work and got about 8 hours sleep on a sofa. I hadn't considered any of it that much but maybe it all subconciously came at me?

5. Gen

Gen

Wow, then that definitely sounds a bit different than what I was explaining. The night occurrence can still be some variation of hypnopompic hallucinations, but the conscious occurrences are likely being caused by something that is worth looking into. Since it seems to be something that is out of your control, I would definitely speak with your doctor, either over the phone or in person, and see if they can recommend you to a psychiatrist.

It probably won't be anything serious if things are that sporadic, but it will definitely be something that you'll want to check out.

6. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will try but it's fairly difficult because I have moved country for Uni to a fairly isolated area :/

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2014 at 06:30 AM ----------

Thanks for the replies guys, can't really talk to anyone else about this.

7. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also is physciatry expensive? I am in the UK so the NHS may cover it.

8. Gen

Gen

I'd imagine that something must be covered. At the very least just bring it up with your doctor and see what they could come up with. About moving to a new country, as long as things aren't escalating rapidly, this isn't something that has to be done tomorrow. Just try to be as conscious as you can of what is going on during these events and start keeping a record so that you know what to say when you get a chance to see a professional.

9. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much, this has been giving me stress for so long. It feels great to get it off my chest and know there's nothing too serious about it (atm at least).

10. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

Were you sleeping just beforehand? If so that sounds strikingly similar to something my friend frequently experienced. The doctor told her it was panic attacks she was having.

11. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No but I was trying to. I don't really sleep much anymore unfortunately.