1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling a Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gremlin, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Gremlin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I have been thinking about telling one of my friends that I am a lesbian, which is kind of funny because she once told me that she wouldn't be surprised if I were gay. At the time though I wasn't ready to tell her so I just said something like, how could you think that? Anyways I think she will be very supportive so I'm not really worried about telling her. I really want advice for dealing with feeling awkward about hanging out. Like she used to sleep over all the time, is that still cool? Cause I have no idea, I don't want her to feel weird, cause I'm so not into her. So what's ok?

2. CornerSign

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It seems to me that women are generally more comfortable around homosexuals than guys. Guys are a lot more insecure about their sexuality for the most part and are terrified of anything that might seem homosexual (eg a lot of girls hold each other's hands and hug each other, most guys never do), so they're almost paranoid around gay men. Obviously this is a massive generalization, but it's true a lot of the time. I'm guessing your friend will understand that you're not into her, but you'll never know till you try.
    I'm not exactly qualified to answer this as I've never come out to another guy, and actually never even come out while sober. But those are my thoughts on the matter, and I hope I help somewhat. Good luck!

3. Will2M

I really don't think it will be a big issue. I have come out to several friends and it honestly kind of falls into the background after the initial conversation. All the friends I have told are like, "Wait really? Okay that's cool." And they kind of move on. It isn't awkward with them and they treat me exactly the same way they did before. I have had sleep overs with them and it really isn't awkward at all. Don't worry about it. It won't be awkward.

Good luck!

4. Somnus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just explain that your not into her.
    Haha I guess my friends are weird but our relationship never changed
    There's the occasional lesbian joke but yeah still the same lol
    Good luck.