1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Africa

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by perfectweather, Sep 23, 2014.

1. perfectweather

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here it all goes...

About 9 months ago, I causally started talking to this amazing woman. We agreed, that neither of us were looking for a relationship at the moment, but just wanted to enjoy each other’s company and have fun. We are both busy individuals; I am in school, work full time and training for the Olympics, she is a Phd student and works full time as well. However, that agreement did not last too long as our feelings started to get deeper for one another. Eventually, we both found ourselves in a relationship with one another, always talking, always with one another, etc. It was great or so I thought.
    Summer came, and my gf left for Africa for 2 months; she had some research to do for her PhD. The first month or so she was gone...we were doing well. We communicated everyday via phone and or Skype. We constantly expressed how much we missed each other, wanted to be with one another, and everything else in between. The last few weeks she was there, all communication just suddenly stopped; no emailing me back, no video chatting, texting, nothing at all. I tried, reaching out to her multiple times, but it became rare that I got a response. I knew something was up, but I just didn’t know what exactly.
    - A little background info: My gf has been to Africa multiple times! She loves it there. She not only appreciates the culture, but the way of life there. Africa, brings her back to life; she feels as though she is able to live life freely, without deadlines, agendas, obligations and burdens, and actually enjoy life.
    A few more weeks passed, and it was almost time for her to come back home. Eventually, I was able to get In touch with her to get her flight info. However, she didn’t really want me to come pick her up; she was just going to catch the train back and then walk home. Her reasoning not wanting me to come pick her up…firstly, she had given away her phone, so we would have limited contact info about her landing, and secondly, she said she would be tired and would probably sleep the car ride home. I thought both reasons were poor excuses, so I went to the airport to pick her up anyway. I got to the airport, super excited to see her, but it was evident the feelings weren’t mutual…or it could have been that she was just tired, jet lag, culturally shocked, missing Africa already… or just merely all of it. She’s finally home. However, when she got back she also had a lot on her plate. Firstly, she hadn’t secured a new apartment yet, so she was living with her brother and his friend’s family and their two children. Secondly, she had her qualifying exams to study for and following right after that, she also had a week to do a 30pg plus essay all for her Phd, and lastly just a whole bunch of other shit in between. When she got back to the states, she already felt behind in everything.
    In the midst of everything, I did try contacting her, here and there to try and see her, because obviously I missed her. But because of everything that was going on, I tried to refrain from asking about “us.” I understood, she had lots on her plate, so I didn’t want to stress her out even more. I did try to call her two or three times over the next few weeks, but she never picked up or returned the calls. However, during that week I did get a text from her saying her ex was in town, and that she was going to go say bye to her and her dog (her ex was moving to Rwanda with their old dog). Okay, I was a little annoyed by that, simply because it could have been time I could have spent with her, but whatever. I later then texted her…”saying it’d be nice if you could return one of my calls.” Well, that text led to an even bigger text and finally us meeting up to talk about us. Long story short, she said while back in Africa, she started to question herself and our relationship. She said, she shouldn’t have left in a relationship, especially a closed one (monogamy isn’t her strongest suit), and when she got back she felt like I was becoming a burden and obligation. I’m sure you can believe that made me feel like complete shit, especially since I hardly ask for anything. She also said, she felt like she was failing me, which in turn…it all just reminded her of her past relationships, especially with the ex she said goodbye too (6 yr abusive relationship). We talked some more, we cried. She said none of this is really my fault, but all has to do with her own shit. She asked me what I wanted to do? I told her I’d like to wade through all of this and see where it goes. It’s just hard for me to get over how amazing things were….for them to change overnight and just continue with life as if nothing ever happened. She unsurely agreed. She said once things come down with her work load, that we would try to work on us. I agree, that is fair, however I still was feeling uneasy, because I don’t think that’s what she wanted to do.
    After, that big conversation, I wrote her an email elaborating on my emotions, apologizing for some things, etc. Although, I have talked with her through text and have briefly seen her in person, two weeks later…she has still not responded to my email. I’m so frustrated and hurt, because I poured my heart out in that email. It contained no negativity, no nothing, and to not get a response….is like a slap in the face. I get it I wrote it in the midst of her studying for this big exam/ writing her paper… but she couldn’t find ten minutes out of the day in two weeks…to respond, not even when she left to go visit Colorado. For someone, that says she loves, cares for and misses me…it surely doesn’t seem like it. I have asked nothing of her in the last few weeks, but to respond to my email...and I haven’t gotten that; I guess that was asking too much.
    I know her work load hasn’t calmed down yet and won’t until mid October, but I still thought we would at least be able to text a little more, but she hardly responds to my four or five texts, I send a week. I’m simply writing this…because I am confused and do not know what to do. Do I just let up all together and leave her be…to see if she comes around…or continue to send her a text here and there during the week to see how she is doing? I hate this feeling of no clarity, hardly no communication, no nothing. I thought, I was giving her space by not requesting to see her and no phone calls and limited text. Is that not enough? Somedays, I stupidly wait, to see if she texts me first expressing that she misses me, however, it’s always me initiating everything. Could it be that she really is just overwhelmed by everything else and deep down really does miss me? Or am I just blinded of the real reality…that she doesn’t want to be with me anymore?

Help,
    Turtle

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honesty, it doesn't sound like she is in the right place to dedicate herself to a relationship with you. Whether she will be ready at a later stage remains to be seen, but do you really think you are being fair on yourself to put everything on hold to wait and see?

You are being offered no certainty or commitment and from what you tell us, she only reluctantly agreed to see if things would work out.. at some point in the future. I'm not so sure it is fair.

I'm sure this comment must have hurt a lot, but when you consider that she is not responding to your communication either, it does rather seem to confirm things. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but I think it's time to ask yourself if this is worth any more of your emotional energy.

3. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello turtle. I know exactly what you are going through in my last relationship (if you an even call it that). At first we texted everyday for hours....then when we had officialy met i SENSED something change, from the ''tone'' if our texts to the frequency....Something didn't FEEL right. See those words in caps right there....that was intuition telling me that something wasn't right...and guess what...it turned out he had lost interest. All the questions you have right now ran through my mind as well.

This may sound a little silly but i do beleive we all have that little voice, that ''hmmm this doesn't make sense'' feeling and it's often right. Most mistakes i've made, in relationships or otherwise, have always occured after i ignored that voice. So those doubts you are having, those things that don't seem reasonable...chances are they are just your intuition's way of saying things are not ok.

OR from a simple logical view, you can't love someone and never find 5 minutes to reply to their text. Maybe if you've been adapted and locked in a dark room alone, which is definiteyl not the case here. Remember, she also said those things about her not being ''ok'' about the relationship.....in my opinion, that was ''i'm sorry i can't do this anymore''...

My advice, though the final decision lies with you, cut your losses and move on. It's not going to be easy, i know but sometimes we've got to put our hearts in the passenger seat and let our heads take the wheel.

I'm pretty sure you are a nice lady, and from the little that i've read, really caring and loving. You deserve somebody who will reciprocate your awesomeness.

Just my 2c

4. perfectweather

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here it all goes...

About 9 months ago, I causally started talking to this amazing woman. We agreed, that neither of us were looking for a relationship at the moment, but just wanted to enjoy each other’s company and have fun. We are both busy individuals; I am in school, work full time and training for the Olympics, she is a Phd student and works full time as well. However, that agreement did not last too long as our feelings started to get deeper for one another. Eventually, we both found ourselves in a relationship with one another, always talking, always with one another, etc. It was great or so I thought.
    Summer came, and my gf left for Africa for 2 months; she had some research to do for her PhD. The first month or so she was gone...we were doing well. We communicated everyday via phone and or Skype. We constantly expressed how much we missed each other, wanted to be with one another, and everything else in between. The last few weeks she was there, all communication just suddenly stopped; no emailing me back, no video chatting, texting, nothing at all. I tried, reaching out to her multiple times, but it became rare that I got a response. I knew something was up, but I just didn’t know what exactly.
    - A little background info: My gf has been to Africa multiple times! She loves it there. She not only appreciates the culture, but the way of life there. Africa, brings her back to life; she feels as though she is able to live life freely, without deadlines, agendas, obligations and burdens, and actually enjoy life.
    A few more weeks passed, and it was almost time for her to come back home. Eventually, I was able to get In touch with her to get her flight info. However, she didn’t really want me to come pick her up; she was just going to catch the train back and then walk home. Her reasoning not wanting me to come pick her up…firstly, she had given away her phone, so we would have limited contact info about her landing, and secondly, she said she would be tired and would probably sleep the car ride home. I thought both reasons were poor excuses, so I went to the airport to pick her up anyway. I got to the airport, super excited to see her, but it was evident the feelings weren’t mutual…or it could have been that she was just tired, jet lag, culturally shocked, missing Africa already… or just merely all of it. She’s finally home. However, when she got back she also had a lot on her plate. Firstly, she hadn’t secured a new apartment yet, so she was living with her brother and his friend’s family and their two children. Secondly, she had her qualifying exams to study for and following right after that, she also had a week to do a 30pg plus essay all for her Phd, and lastly just a whole bunch of other shit in between. When she got back to the states, she already felt behind in everything.
    In the midst of everything, I did try contacting her, here and there to try and see her, because obviously I missed her. But because of everything that was going on, I tried to refrain from asking about “us.” I understood, she had lots on her plate, so I didn’t want to stress her out even more. I did try to call her two or three times over the next few weeks, but she never picked up or returned the calls. However, during that week I did get a text from her saying her ex was in town, and that she was going to go say bye to her and her dog (her ex was moving to Rwanda with their old dog). Okay, I was a little annoyed by that, simply because it could have been time I could have spent with her, but whatever. I later then texted her…”saying it’d be nice if you could return one of my calls.” Well, that text led to an even bigger text and finally us meeting up to talk about us. Long story short, she said while back in Africa, she started to question herself and our relationship. She said, she shouldn’t have left in a relationship, especially a closed one (monogamy isn’t her strongest suit), and when she got back she felt like I was becoming a burden and obligation. I’m sure you can believe that made me feel like complete shit, especially since I hardly ask for anything. She also said, she felt like she was failing me, which in turn…it all just reminded her of her past relationships, especially with the ex she said goodbye too (6 yr abusive relationship). We talked some more, we cried. She said none of this is really my fault, but all has to do with her own shit. She asked me what I wanted to do? I told her I’d like to wade through all of this and see where it goes. It’s just hard for me to get over how amazing things were….for them to change overnight and just continue with life as if nothing ever happened. She unsurely agreed. She said once things come down with her work load, that we would try to work on us. I agree, that is fair, however I still was feeling uneasy, because I don’t think that’s what she wanted to do.
    After, that big conversation, I wrote her an email elaborating on my emotions, apologizing for some things, etc. Although, I have talked with her through text and have briefly seen her in person, two weeks later…she has still not responded to my email. I’m so frustrated and hurt, because I poured my heart out in that email. It contained no negativity, no nothing, and to not get a response….is like a slap in the face. I get it I wrote it in the midst of her studying for this big exam/ writing her paper… but she couldn’t find ten minutes out of the day in two weeks…to respond, not even when she left to go visit Colorado. For someone, that says she loves, cares for and misses me…it surely doesn’t seem like it. I have asked nothing of her in the last few weeks, but to respond to my email...and I haven’t gotten that; I guess that was asking too much.
    I know her work load hasn’t calmed down yet and won’t until mid October, but I still thought we would at least be able to text a little more, but she hardly responds to my four or five texts, I send a week. I’m simply writing this…because I am confused and do not know what to do. Do I just let up all together and leave her be…to see if she comes around…or continue to send her a text here and there during the week to see how she is doing? I hate this feeling of no clarity, hardly no communication, no nothing. I thought, I was giving her space by not requesting to see her and no phone calls and limited text. Is that not enough? Somedays, I stupidly wait, to see if she texts me first expressing that she misses me, however, it’s always me initiating everything. Could it be that she really is just overwhelmed by everything else and deep down really does miss me? Or am I just blinded of the real reality…that she doesn’t want to be with me anymore?

Help,
    Turtle

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Turtle,
    I'm very sorry that you're in the situation you are right now. :frowning2: To not feel your love reciprocated, I know, is very very painful. (*hug*)

I think you have done everything that you should do. You have given this woman every chance to make things right, you have given her your love and your emotions, but she can't find the time to respond to an email that you 'poured your heart' into.
    At some point you have to start thinking about your own needs and not simply waiting for her to decide when she wants to start paying attention to you. Even a simple text here and there would be somewhat acceptable, but leaving you hanging like she has, honestly, isn't acceptable behavior for someone who cares about another person.

I think you should move on to other possibilities. You shouldn't keep ignoring your own need for love and attention in this relationship.

Hope all is well. (&&&)

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. thekillingmoon

I have to say it doesn't sound very promising for you. It sounds like she wants to end it and put distance between you. She could also feel bad about the break up and hurting you, which is why she isn't replying. Cause what could you possibly say to someone after you just dumped them? Either way, it's up to her now. You already let her know you want a relationship with her, now you should give her time to figure it out and prepare yourself for the possibility that you might have to move on.

8. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've merged the two threads.