1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting over someone

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sotv, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I broke up with my boyfriend who I'd been going out with for nearly nine months. He was my first gay relationship, he helped me come out at school, helped me through a stage where I had vicious nightmares and was there for me for nine months of my life. We had really really good fun together and it's the best relationship I have ever had. We broke up because I had to move away and I can't manage long distance even if we had texted 24/7. We ended on really good terms but I have no idea how to move on after that. In the past I have been cheated on etc so it had been relatively easy but now I will be fine and just think about him then feel a longing sensation to see him again. It's not a sadness anymore it's more of a solemn "I wish I could hug him right now".
    I don't want to go sleeping around with people or even get in a relationship for a long while. So I would really like some advice on how to move on.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Sorry to be inconsiderate but... that's a pretty damn stupid reason to break up with someone who (from what i read) is the love of your life.

3. Skov

Time

4. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. He barely texted, refused to come up to visit me on my birthday despite the fact it wouldve been over a month since i saw him last and i offered to pay, he stopped lookin after me when I moved away. I had been living here for a bit now and since I got told I was going to uni here it has felt like he was withdrawing from the relationship.
    What I should have said was:

I can't manage long distance with someone who won't put in the effort.

My bad

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2014 at 02:45 PM ----------

I tried my best to keep it alive but if you can't communicate with someone, how can you date them? :/

5. ChameleonSoul

As Skov said, time heals all wounds. I'm not going to say it'll be easy and there are some days when it'll be hard. The best thing that you can do is to take your mind off of everything that has happened between the two of you. Spend some time with your friends, do something that you love, do anything that'll divert your attention and live your life as normally as possible. Maybe try talking to someone you know in person about how you are feeling too. That way, you have somebody that you can go to when venting into a keyboard doesn't help.

6. Blossom85

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.. A break up is always hard and painful no matter what the reason behind it is.. I think take your time, let yourself grieve and as each day goes by, it will start to hurt a little less. I think if he wasn't putting in the effort and you felt he was withdrawing, then I think it was best you called the relationship off, to be in a relationship ship is both give and take.

7. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my experience, the first few months after a break up are going to be hard as shit! You are allowed to cry, feel sad and listen to break-up songs until the early hours of the morning! You have just lost a large part of you and the memories don't fade easily. It will take time to get over him but know that the way you're feeling now isn't permanent and you will eventually move on from him and find someone else, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Just hang in there and try to distract your mind as much as possible. Dwelling on 'what could have been' does no one any favours at all

8. shinji

shinji Guest

Well this changes things completely! Find someone new, start obsessing over them and you'll very, very, very quickly forget this guy.

9. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahhahaha well this made me laugh despite how tired I am thank you!

Skov, Chameleon, Blossom and Boigeorge thanks for the advice...it's going to be tough though it was huge emotional part of my life and it was the first time I trusted somebody for a while, I'm glad it ended on such good terms but it still hurts...I guess you're right I will just have to try and enjoy myself, I just remember him out of nowhere though and start feeling low :/

10. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

It will take time to heal but deep down I know you still are in love