1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advices needed please

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hel, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hel

Hel

Hello,

So my grand father just died. I think I'm okay with it. We will see.

My question is about how to be supporting to my parents. It's probably a personal preference and there is no general rule on how to act when your relatives passed away. However, maybe there is simple things I could/should do to help my parents through this?

I hope you understand my question. And thank for the advices (it the first time we lose a family member since I'm an adult, the last one I was still a baby...)

2. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

I'm so sorry for your loss. :frowning2:

I haven't gone through something like that as an adult, so I don't know if I can be helpful.

Anyway, you should be caring with your parents. I don't know whether you live with them or not. If so, try to help them as much as you can. I mean you could talk to them everyday so that they can vent. Be nice with them and make them know that you'll be there to support them.

If you don't live with them, call them everyday. You could visit them in your free time too and do all the things I mentioned before.

I send you a big hug. (*hug*)

3. Hel

Hel

Thank you for the answer and your kind words. (*hug*)

I will make sure to listen and help them as much as I can.

4. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi there! I'm going through the same thing, my grandmother just passed away a few weeks ago, and in my case I was there for my father by being very upbeat and cheerful. It really depends on the person, my father is very playful, so for me being playful with him will remind him that life goes on and he still has all the rest of his family by his side. It may also help to share stories of your grandfather with your family. Remembering the good times you had with your grandfather will help you move on and realize even though he is gone he made you all happy and you will always remember him for that! Hope this helps.

5. Blossom85

I'm sorry to hear the news.. I know the feeling.. I lost my grandmother 12 years ago and it still feels like yesterday sometimes.. I think just be there for your parents, give them cuddles and hugs.. I know giving my Mum hugs really helped when she lost her mother.. Just let them talk, they might not wanna talk, they might just want your company.. Not sure if you live at home or not.. But if you do.. Maybe offer to cook dinner or help clean the house.. If you don't live at home, maybe just spend more time with them..

It is a vulnerable time for them, and having family nearby is always supportive I think. Just let them know you are there, but don't force them to talk if they aren't ready. Once the funeral is over and gone, it is sometimes hard to step back into normalcy, so I think just let them take the time to grieve, but also do the regular things you do with them.. Don't feel you need to watch what you say.