1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The aftermath.... recovering from cheating.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by romanstatues, Sep 24, 2014.

1. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many of you probably know that me and my BF of 1.5 years had a break down when he cheated on me with some other guy. To not make a long story short it was a one time deal, I hadn't had any sexual life with him for months and pushed him away (literally, physically pushed him away). I don't proclaim innocence.

Anyway, where we live is outside the USA and there are no relationship counselors. He swears he would never do it again, he cries all the time when I try to discuss it, he brings me flowers.... he really is trying to be a loving boyfriend. I proposed taking a break, etc and he is very against it. The other day he thought I was out cheating on him because I came home with wet boxers (it's a long story, accident at the office) and he was torn apart.

I am having issues moving past this. I feel like if he loved me or gave a damn he would have never done what he did. He says he did not tell me for so long after because he regretted it and knew i would leave. In my craziness back when it happened I hacked his phone and saw his messaging history, it was a one time thing, no more incidents happened. After he did it things tapered down and he was not into talking to other people.

I am just struggling with the idea that he says he loves me, wants to marry me and spend his life with only me ... but what happened did in fact happen. Is it possible he is sincere, is it possible he will be a good boyfriend? Or this all just a big lie waiting to end in another disaster. Our relationship has gotten better, our sex life is great, I learned not to push him away obviously.

But that aside, is that enough? I always thought that someone who does something horrible will do it again. In a past relationship I did something horrible and in my new one I did not repeat it, I thought about it but did not. I am just so unsure if it's even possible someone can be sincere after something like this....

2. Blossom85

From the sounds of it.. He is trying to make amends and he sounds remorseful for his actions in betraying and hurting you. It would be a hard thing for you to move on from and let go and it's not my place to tell you what to do or if you should stay with him or not.. That is your decision to decide if you feel you can let it go eventually and move on. In your heart, do you feel you can trust him again one day? Its hard for us to make judgements or say what we think you should or shouldn't do, because in the end.. We don't know how you feel, we aren't inside your heart and in your mind.. So this is something only you can decide on. When he thought you might have cheated on him based on what you said.. And him being torn apart by that thought tells me he can now see where you are and how you feel, so perhaps he is coming to the realization that he doesn't want to lose you and doesn't want to hurt you again cause him just thinking that you might have has probably given him a new way of thinking about it and giving him a new perspective on it.

I think if he didn't love you, then he wouldn't be trying this hard to make amends with you.. He would just let you go in my opinion if he didn't really want to have a future with you. Look inside your heart, what is it telling you? What is your gut instincts telling you? I know some people say once a Cheater, always a cheater.. But sometimes things happen and it shakes people up and gets them to see the light in a way and makes them want to be a better person.. I hope your able to move on and make a good life for yourself wether it's with him or apart from him. Just know you have my support no matter what you decide to do.

3. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the kind words and sorry to spam the forums. Sometimes it just helps to talk and everyone I know is always about picking up pitchforks.

I think he is truly sorry. He seems truly hurt, not by anything else other than the idea of losing me. He has been doing things he has never done in our relationship, if i have a mistrust episode he even goes our of his way to prove where he was. He sent me a GPS snapshot of his location because I mistrusted him.

I feel like i can trust him again but I don't want to do it and get burnt again. I think my pride is an issue. I don't pretend to be innocent either. I also have strong thoughts about cheating on him not for revenge but then I will have something worse on my mind and battle with myself rather than with him. Some days all I can think about is what he did and it makes me sick.

I feel like if I did something I'd understand how he could do it and not tell me, or that I would feel better because I would think about how horrible I was and not him. Not sure, I am a bit out of it.

4. Blossom85

You don't need to be sorry, it is good you are here expressing your feelings and venting.. It's good to be able to get it out instead of bottling it all in. You are welcome, just know I'm here if you need any advice or just need a friend to talk to.

I think whilst it might seem like a good idea to do something to hurt him to even the score or try to get into his head and understand why he did it, but I honestly don't think you will feel any better afterwards.. You will just feel guilty and ashamed that you have stooped to such a low level. I can understand thinking of what he did and still feeling the pain from it.. I think you need to make a conscious effort to try to get your mind off it.. If you never can stop thinking about it.. You will never be able to truly forgive him because it will just continue to eat away at you.

I think you need to take your pride away from this.. A lot of people see their pride as being more important then the person they love, but when it comes down to it.. Whilst pride is important, if you wanna continue to be with him and work out your issues and get to a really good place in your lives together.. Them you need to let your pride go.. What is more important.. Your boyfriend or your pride? It's a scary thought that it might happen again and you might get burnt again, but that is something you need to decide if it's worth the risk taking.

5. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Blossom, seriously!

I also concur that pride is useless but unfortunately easier to say than do in this case. I would say our relationship is worth alot I can see a future with him. If not I'd just say screw it. I just wish I knew how to tell if he was sincere or not.

I am just scare it will happen again.

6. Blossom85

You are welcome romanstatues,

I can understand how it is hard to put aside pride in this situation, It is good you see a future with him and you see your relationship being worth a lot.. That is your starting point.. I think you are just going to have to trust him, there isn't really a way to tell if he is being sincere. If he seems like he is honestly and genuinely trying to work on gaining your trust and making profess on your relationship, then if think that is a big indicator. I think if he wasn't all that interested in working through this, he would be thinking screw it as well, so the fact he is trying, that to me is something to hold onto. I agree, it is really scary thinking he will do it again, but if you love him and trust him.. Then you need to just give it a chance and take as risk.. Love is all about risk and you need to decide if the risk is worth it.

7. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Blossom85 thanks for the good advice. I am currently working through this, I think I have been getting better over the last days the whole pride thing jumps aside. I try to look back and the best I can come up with is that he is to blame. He is at fault. But the circumstances in the relationship didn't exactly fair well.

He always told me he wanted to mover far away with me... I told him no we'd stay here. He told me he wanted to get engaged, I told him no we were not ready. He told me he wanted a better sex life and I told him we'd have a three some. All in all I think I managed to convince him that our relationship was going nowhere when in reality it was going somewhere.

I guess i was not splendid at it. We had another serious talk and he took the time to mention that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, he wants us to get married, he wants us to buy a house and he wants us to be happy. I told him not to BS and he told me that he is seriously. I told him if he realized once we make a commitment that he couldn't do what he did, that it would not be forgiven. He told me he is aware and that it's not even worth mentioning.

His best friend was chatting with me and showed me a convo they had where my BF had saw some pretty not nice messages I wrote and he responded to his best friend, "I hurt him and I deserve it, all of it". So I am thinking he really understands the gravity of the situation.

All in all I think we will get engaged. I think it's the right thing to do and I think we will have a healty relationship. I don't think it will happen again and I think I had a lot to do with it. I told him clearly if he ever gets to the point of thinking like that we should break it off. He seems legit that he won't and he is all crazy in love and upset about me being unsure, which, is legit because after all, we've been together almost two years and the honeymoon phase is over... if he wanted to sleep around we'd be done or taking a break neither of which he wanted. Also the fact that he gets crazy about the idea of me sleeping with someone else shows me that he understands the gravity of the situation and what kind of damage it would do, meaning he can understand what he did and not repeat

8. shinji

shinji Guest

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but... oh well.

First of all, you're a terrible boyfriend!

Now... Hypothetically speaking, you do know that people are stupid in general, in a way that, when they see something they can't have, they work really hard to take what they want, right?

Okay imagine now for a second that all your shitty behaviour and brickwalling you've been doing, has twisted this whole situation in such a way that your boyfriend has actually started going in the mindset described above.

Here's a crazy idea... what if, you forgave him and at the same time, asked for his forgiveness, because let's face it, you're also at fault here. Then... (and just hear me out here...), tell him that you want to go back to the way you two were, forget all the wedding stuff and moving together far away to Iceland and stuff...

Spend a few weeks/months, being like you two used to be and then, only then... if everything is still okay (as in, he hasn't cheated on you yet and you're not brickwalling him), then do all the lovey dovey stuff.

9. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    shinji - good opinion. And good point. I was a terrible boyfriend.

We have been together 2 months since the incident happened. He has not cheated on me. I have not brickwalled him. Our sexual life has been great, we have been doing dinner dates weekly, we buy each other flowers.

We are actually having a proper relationship. I am just dealing with backlogged feelings at this point.

To be more precise... he cheated on me one time literally like hey .... let's have sex, then he did ... then he cut cords with the guy, they didnt even meet up again and then .... later I found out, he didnt tell me right away.

So our relationship has gotten past it and we have been good. We have been not the same before but better than -- I actually feel properly in love and committed at this point and I have been working to be a good boyfriend.

Now I feel like it would be wise to move forward but the situation has left some hanging over feelings.

I was thinking maybe do a break and we both see if we really want to be together? But then we both know we do and daily he tells me he does... so then I think I am just being a coward and trying to run away from feelings I don't like ... I am sure I want to be with him.

10. Blossom85

You are very welcome Hun, just remember I am always here if you wanna talk.. You are always welcome to post on my wall as well.. Just be there for each other and keep doing what your doing.. I read your last reply and that sounds wonderful that you are going back to more traditional dating where you have date nights and and buy each other flowers.. Just keep that up and keep up the communication as well.

11. romanstatues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :slight_smile: Blossom85 thanks again!

Things have been going well so far. We have been at it, I have gotten better about not making snide comments. Those awkward moments have gone away when we both go to dark places.

No idea how this will end but hopefully with us together.

12. Blossom85

You are very welcome, anytime Hun..

That is wonderful to hear it has been going well. I think as long as you both are committed to making it work and are willing to make the effort, you will be fine. (*hug*)