1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice - long story, possible breakup

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Realguy899, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Realguy899

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am in need of some advice. My boyfriend and I have been dating for 1.5 years (we are both males). I am 24 and he is 21. This is our first serious relationship. At the beginning of our relationship, things were great! Sex was great, we spend a lot of time together and enjoyed each other’s company. We are VERY opposite people. I am adventurous, spontaneous, and generally positive. He is very quiet, to himself, detailed, and is usually negative. We have had some issues in our relationship but we always work through them. In the 1.5 years we have been dating, we have spent maybe six weeks total apart.

Fast forward to now. I was staying at his place for two weeks and we went out to dinner one night last week. He had seemed very down when I was staying at his place. I asked him if he wanted to break up and he said yes. He said he was not ready to move in together (we don’t live together now, but have been talking about it after we both graduate college in May) and he said he was stressed. He said I weigh him down and he wasn't as into the relationship anymore. I gave him two days of space and we decided to meet up and talk again.

After two days, we talked and pretty much he said he was not as attracted to me as he was in the beginning. I have gained some weight and he believes this was part of it. He said I don’t make him horny, he does not desire to have sex with me when he is bottoming. He said he doesn't feel that “pull towards me.” He said he still finds me attractive, just not as he did before. He was very set on breaking up, but I kept telling him, it was because I was staying at his place and he felt stressed. I pretty much begged him to stay with me, but he kept telling me he didn't want the relationship anymore. He said he doesn't know if the feelings could/would change. I told him I would lose weight and we can work things out. He said he doesn't know if he loves me and doesn't know what love is. I kept convincing him when you are in a long term relationship, you have to work to keep things going. I finally stopped trying to convince him and told him OK, we are done. When I told him this, the look in his eyes were astonishing. His eyes literally spoke to me, as if he was shocked I agreed to it. I grabbed my bags and left.

Before I left his apartment, I looked at his window and he was looking at me. I kept walking, but decided to turn around to go back and kiss him one last time. When I came back up and he opened the door, he said “you are right”. I came in and he said that we can work on things. We talked that night and he told me my man boobs were a problem, he doesn't desire me sexually when he bottoms and I turn him on, but I don’t make him horny. We are both versatile.

Now fast forward to yesterday. I talked to him again and told him I just wasn't sure if the relationship would work, because I needed to know that he didn't stay with me because I pretty much begged him. He told me that the main problem was that he did not feel he could be open with me about him emotions and everything else he said was a byproduct of that. He said he loves me and wants to work on this relationship and believes things can change. He said once, I agreed to breaking up, he was thinking of ways to take back what he said. I talked to a friend of his before all this happened and she told me that he was asking her how to tell me needed his space and he was tired of me staying there. He didn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me.

Ever since this has happened, I have had a strange feeling in my stomach. I am really confused because after he expressed himself to me, I want to work to fix things, but I struggle to believe it can be fixed. I mean, losing weight won’t be a huge issue for me, but I am not sure if he is actually into the relationship and wants to fix things or he’s just staying because he doesn't want to hurt me. I have been really trying so far to give him his space, so we can have our own lives. We are together and have been talking hanging out and kissing etc.. but after hearing all he said… I can’t help but think he’s not into me, so we should just end it now.

I am honestly thinking of breaking up with him. I love him and want to work on things, but I can’t get over the fact that I don’t make him horny or he doesn't desire to have sex with me when he is bottoming.

What are your thought? Thanks for reading the entire thing, I really need advice.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing I noticed was the way you described the personality differences. You are VERY different people. You are more adventurous/positive, while he is quiet, to himself and more negative. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem - you haven't found a way to manage those big differences.

Communication is a big issue in many relationships and I'm inclined to believe it's a big issue for the two of you. I do believe your boyfriend was trying not to hurt your feelings (afterall, it's not easy to find a sensitive way to mention man boobs and needing space), but the result of this has been a growing issue that has led to him becoming more depressed and negative about your relationship, with the result that you nearly parted. If he'd been able to find a way to communicate and express his feelings about your weight and sex life and him needing his own time, it's entirely possible that things wouldn't have gone so far. Having said that, communication is not just a one way street - you need to be more attentive and receptive to his feelings and it seems you have missed all the signs of his growing dissatisfaction. I think you both need to work on it.

In the early stages of a relationship it's normal to spend lots and lots of time together and maybe you still want that, but if he is more quiet and reserved (to himself) he may feel differently now. He may need his own time and space. This is where you need to find a way of managing those differences, if you can, but you'll only do that by communicating better and often.

I think opposite personalities can work in a relationship, but there has to be enough common ground where you can really enjoy each others time and company. Do you think the two of you have enough common ground, so the differences don't drive you apart?

Hope this has helped and good luck.

#2 PatrickUK, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014