1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Friend"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AsheTheHuman, Oct 2, 2014.

1. AsheTheHuman

So I guess this all starts back in the 8th Grade. Me and... 'Kay' were best friends. Our parents called us inseparable, and it was true. We went everywhere together. But since 8th Grade, he's changed. I blame the arrival of... 'Drew'. Now Kay was always one for impressing the new kid. But Drew was different. Drew had been around to just about every other school in the area, Public or Private. Expelled from all of them, time after time. To do something worthy of his admiration was going to be hard. And then one day I opened up my hymn book during Confirmation practice. A crudely drawn penis fell out. In church. I could hear Drew crack up from behind me. I turned to Jay who just had a smirk on his face. Throughout the rest of 8th Grade, the pranks and ridicule continued- all aimed at me. I never stopped being Kay's friend though. Since then, Kay's only gotten worse. He try's to act tough all the time. He uses 'faggot' and 'gay' all the time- Even though he was one of the first people I told about me. He constantly shit talks everything he doesn't like. No one's allowed to an opinion that isn't his. He's sneaking out with Drew to go smoke pot. Somewhere inside I'd like to think he's still the same. But it's been so long since I've seen the old him that I don't even remember if the old him even exists.

I have another acquaintance too. Joe. "Why are you changing your X? It's fine!" Substitute anything about my appearance and presentation for X. Now say that to me a million times over and you've got a great Joe impression. I've probably gone into my feelings with Joe more than anyone else IRL, and he still doesn't even attempt to understand. What hurts the most is that he's careless. I didn't want to come out as Ashe at my old school because I didn't want to have to dodge all the questions. I told Joe this. Didn't stop him from posting about it on Instagram. Worst part? He didn't write my name as "Ashe (Patrick)". He wrote it "Patrick (Ashe)".

I guess I just wanted to vent. If anyone's got any advice what to tell 'Kay' once I get th inevitable "Where did you go?" text, I'd appreciate it.

2. Blossom85

Awe Hun, I'm sorry that friends who you thought were your friends haven't been there for you and haven't been supportive towards you. I think honestly and I think you know this now.. That you are better off without either of them in your life. You deserve people around you who are going to be there, and be supportive of you and what you want from your new life.

To be honest, I don't think that you owe 'Kay' any explanations at all, I guess if you feel you wanna say something back if you get a message asking where have you gone, you could always just say keep it simple and say you changed schools cause you didn't feel that school was a safe or enjoyable place for you to be anymore and in order to start feeling better about certain things, you needed to leave.. But other that that, I really don't think he deserves to know or that you owe him anything.

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Ashley, I'm sorry you've been treated like this. I had to learn hard lessons about people in Meatspace. If someone treats you like 'Kay' did, they aren't your friend.

I know it hurts, I know. (*hug*)

I agree with Blossom that you don't owe 'Kay' any explanations. I wonder sometimes what I'd say to my old "friends" in Meatspace. Right now, I'd say something like "where I'm going, you don't deserve to follow". I don't know if that helps or not, but know I've got your back, OK?