1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self harm, bulimia, body dysmorphia and dating.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mimi94, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Mimi94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I find dating very, very tricky. I have always struggled with self harm and more recently with bulimia. These are, in my everyday life, issues I try to keep private and deal with alone. But what happens when I have to bare all, or some and it is plain as day written on my body? Half of me feels like I should warn people. WARNING: PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN INSANE AMOUNTS OF CRAZY. Then the other half of me just wants to be loved for being me without fear of scaring people away. Can anyone relate?

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Yes. I don't have the same issues as you, but I have BiPolar, Social Anxiety - I mean there are days when I'm just *crazy*. And I wonder if I'm ever even going to be a suitable partner for anyone?

3. Mimi94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They say there's somebody for everybody *hopes* I see little quotes like "if they can't handle you at your worst then they don't deserve you at your best" which are cute but it's not so easy finding someone who can handle me at my worst, or is at least willing to try.

4. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I know what you mean. People with issues understand each other, but then you worry if you are triggering each other, right?

5. CrazyAwkward

I can relate. My struggles are different, but they also make it difficult to think someone would ever be able to handle being with me.

6. Mimi94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thankyou for your replies. Do we just hold off love until we're 'better'. My partner at the moment thinks he should be the reason I stop doing it, he asks why he isn't making me happy. How can make them understand it's not that easy.

7. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

That's so hard. I had a girlfriend like that, she thought her love would, and should, be enough to "fix" me. What are we supposed to say to that?

8. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really isn't healthy to deal with this alone. I strongly suggest that you go see doctor and talk to someone who can help you. You deserve to get better. (*hug*)