1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking too much?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Abdadhie, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Abdadhie

So I have/had a really good mate who has recently started to dislike me. When I asked him he was very odd about it and didn't give me many reasons. The one re-occurring reason is that I talk about my sexuality too much. I only came out about a month ago so I do enjoy talking about it. It feels nice to not be bottled up. When I told him this he just said 'Straight people don't talk about how they're straight all the time'. Although he's somewhat transphobic (which might be another reason he dislikes me all of a sudden) I really want to be friends with him, for all his flaws he's a good guy. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he is not completely comfortable with people who are not straight, then I can imagine that you talking about your orientation (often) will bother him at least a little.

If you really want to be friends with him, try to talk less about it, if it feels right for you. If you can't do it (or if you can, but feel unhappy because of that), then you should continue what you are doing.

Good luck. (*hug*)

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think anyone who doesn't like you for who you are isn't worth having as a friend. Just a thought.

4. Justabutt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kinda agree with your friend on this one. People who constantly flaunt their sexuality can be annoying. You ARE gay but you are not ONLY gay, try to be yourself but more so be the guy who he knows. You just came out so I understand that this is a decisive moment in your life with all new possibilities and horizons which can be exciting.

You get a grace period, enjoy your coming out but do not let it be a main factor in who you are. Being gay isn't the only thing gay dudes are, you'd be surprised at the diversity. While this may seem like you're once again hiding in reality you're allowing yourself to be more. In my eyes the guys who never shut up about being gay tend to be the most insecure.

Also, he's wrong. The level of in your face public affection straight people do is ridiculous, if even a quarter of all gay people did that they'd gasp in awe of our pretentiousness. Straight people don't see it because it's normal socially accepted is all. So, yeah, while they don't talk about it always they definitely flaunt it. Good luck.

5. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he doesn't like you talking to him,I say don't bother being his friend

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the most part, I agree with what's been said. However, if you do talk incessantly, and even more so if it is primarily about one topic, or if the conversation always gets steered toward you (or your being gay) by your talking... That can be really annoying to people.

Normal conversation generally has a lot of give and take with everyone (or most people) contributing. If one person dominates, others feel disrespected. Dunno if any of that applies to you, but if so, you can practice different behaviors and see how others respond.