1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if she's Gay?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BisexualFish, Oct 7, 2014.

1. BisexualFish

So i recently started sixth form and am settling in ok. I've seen this girl around school, and she just fascinates me. i've always looked at her, but she'd never noticed me. The other day i sat with one of my friends who ended up talking to her, so we were all sitting at the same table (This friend doesn't know of my sexual orientation). My friend suddenly had to leave and i ended up sitting at the table with this girl by myself. We got chatting and my admiration for her just grew and grew. She's so cute, to me anyway.

She has a boyish style (sort of street you could say) and she acts quite boyish, but i'm not one to stereotype and assume she's gay or bi. Today she came behind me and put her hand on my shoulder and said hey, does that mean anything? :eek: Not going to lie i was so happy hehe. but still can't read women as i've never been in a relationship - with a guy or girl. But one thing i can say, i've never been hung up over anyone like this before. She's all i think about, and i don't even know her name!!! She doesn't seem to approach me that often (today was the only time) :icon_sad: and i'm too scared to approach her. I don't want to ask her out and make a fool out of myself if she's not gay. I can't get her out of my head and would take any advice i can get (!)

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It's really hard to tell a woman's sexuality unless you ask her straight up. There are a lot of straight girls who are really really affectionate, more so than men are

3. Really

I'd say, feel free to match her level of attention. That is, you can now touch her shoulder and say hey. If that's all it is, I guess you'll find out pretty quickly. If you become actual friends, then you'll be in a better position to find out, either by telling her about yourself or asking her.

#3 Really, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. BisexualFish

Thanks so much for the reply guys. I'm gonna try and become friends with her and i guess if she doesnt want to, then its just not meant to be?

5. Dia

Dia

I hate to break it to you but it is like 80% in your head. I was going through the same thing for two years with this girl ( actually we became close friends during this time) and even though the signs screamed straight from miles away I kept hoping and in fact tried to see things that actually weren't there. So I picked every piece of bravery I had left and told her about my feelings. She rejected me politely and we aren't as close anymore.
    For the past few months I have this crush on a girl from school who I believe is kinda like your girl there (not the girly type let's just say). She gives off this vibe that the previous one didn't. Still I'm not sure if I should go for it. But I would never ever try the friend zone thing. You can't easily get out and can lose a very important friendship on the way.
    To sum up : You should try hanging out with her but make it clear you are not in for the friendship. Try flirting a little (in a playful-you-are-not-sure-if-I'm-joking kinda way). Watch for her reactions around you (staring, touching etc.)
    But Remember! : You can never be sure unless you aske her. All these other signs can so easily be misinterpreted especially when you are thinking subjectively.
    Hope I could help.
    Lots if hugs an kisses :*

6. BisexualFish

Hey Dia, so sorry to hear about your story, that sucks :frowning2: Glad to hear other people are going through the same sort of thing though. I'm def gonna take your advice and show her i'm interested, even if she doesn't pick up the hints, i'll mention it somehow. You def did help and im rooting for you too, Good luck

Hugs and kisses :*

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't know for sure unless they tell you, and even then they may not say the truth. But, you do know your own sexuality. I would suggest first getting closer to this girl as just a friend. Then, try to figure out her positions on LGBT issues to make sure she isn't homophobic, and if she isn't, eventually consider coming out to her unless you think she's not trustworthy (most teens can't keep a secret) and you don't want others knowing. Once she knows you're bi, you could observe how she acts toward you and maybe reveal your feelings. But, it's best in the long run to not hide and try to come out so you can get on with your life.

I think asking is okay but only if you really know her well. Otherwise, if she's closeted, she might go deeper into the closet.

8. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do expressly "ask her out" but do ask her to meet you for tea or coffee somewhere. If she's into you, it's a date, if not it's a friendly hangout. No harm done either way :slight_smile:

9. BisexualFish

Thanks so much for advice, Am going to try and become friends with her, knowing me though i probably won't have the guts to. D: But thanks guys, so glad you replied :slight_smile:

10. lemons123

fallingdown7 made a good point but now that you're asking:

does she have some 'obsessions' with female celebrities?
    is she always checking out good looking women at the street?
    ask some of her friends if she is lesbian or not...
    is she in relationship with a guy?

those cannot prove that she is straight or gay of course but at least shed some light on it