1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I handle this situation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MtnFr3sh, Oct 9, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really know what to title it, or even for sure where to categorize it. But I have a question or two. Not about how to do it, but how to deal with the questions? I don't really know how to explain it in a short sentence. So here? I Guess? Assuming family...

So, for homecoming week we were allowed to dress up as a favorite character (I dressed up as Ciel Phantomhive) I used blue hairspray. I've always liked the idea of unnatural hair colors, but also, needed to for the costume.

Since then, I recently bought a whole bunch of temporary hair colors (mostly hairspray) then, I started wearing some of it to school (maybe not on all my hair, but just one streak). Almost everybody liked it, maybe 2 or 3 people would ask me why I did it, or didn't.

Like, a bunch... The reason being it's almost halloween, and afterwards, there might not be that much left, especially of any colors I might want.

[​IMG]

Then, tonight, my mom got mad at me for using my birthday money (I got $100 from my mentor) on this "crap for my hair" When I said I still had most of it left (partial lie, she hasn't seen all of it, what's in the picture) she didn't really believe me. She also got upset because the hairspray made my floor a bit dirty. then she said "You know, when I had a son, I didn't think I'd have to deal with stuff like this..." Then, she said people were asking if I was coloring my hair, sometimes asking if I was using cool-aide (She said because sometimes it can look a weird color)

I kinda laughed. Then, she said that I have no idea what questions people ask her about me sometimes, no idea. Now, that last part was kinda muffled like she was saying it to herself. But I think I know what it means. I think she gets asked questions possible regarding my sexuality. She knows, but Because my closet is sort of made of glass, some people can tell, but some just think I'm a little metrosexual. (I want to be considered somewhat a guy, I don't want to be too flamboyant. But I love the haircolor thing)

So, I guess this falls more under the family thing. But, how should I handle this situation?

2. shinji

shinji Guest

When was the last time your mom asked for your opinion on how she should wear her hair/clothes etc...?

Same thing, you are your own person and should do whatever you feel looks good on you.

Just tell her to mind her own business (in a not so direct way, obviously).

As for the money YOU got for YOUR birthday, how is it relevant that you chose to spend it on YOURSELF?

On a side note, temporary hair color sprays are so damaging to the hair...

Pro tip! Colored hair extensions look cool!

P.S. - Ciel Phantomhive, NICE! (^・ω・^ )

Oh, by the way... If your mom knows about you, and accepts you, does it matter what some random person is thinking/asking?!

#2 shinji, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well it's like this... She knows, but hasn't completely accepted it. She's afraid that I'll get treated differently. But, she's also concerned that she won't get hired to substitute teach anymore, like "That's the mother of that gay kid, forget it..." Even though that's not really possible when it's all computerized and the people in the office have almost no say... Besides, multiple times she's been told she's the best sub in the district, and, well, I hate to sound conceited... I seriously do, because I don't see why they do, but my mom always tells me how everybody (staff wise) likes me... And some teachers have told her that they wish all their students were like me... Which makes me really embarrassed because I feel like that makes me a geek, or teacher's pet. But anyway. She's just being a bit irrational about it.

She's upset about the $100 because my mentor said to use it to take me and her out to a nice dinner because I said we were kinda tapped out on money at the time. And she thought we still would (despite my birthday having been a month ago...)

And has for the damaging the hair, I'm going to be honest... I don't really care about that THAT much, because my hairstyle is usually the bedhead/messy look. Plus, I use conditioner every time I shower, so I feel like that makes it not as bad... Lol