1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt like an embarrassment?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FightingShadows, Oct 11, 2014.

1. FightingShadows

I've been out as trans to my family for about two years now. They took the news particularly well although they still have not fully accepted me. The only thing they are not okay with it my chosen name. They still call me my birth name to my face and amongst themselves with female pronouns may I add. They say they will never call me anything else but I plan to change that because I'm going to be legalizing my name and will force this upon them. However, I feel like yes, they are okay with me and how I identify now but that I'm this sort of embarrassment in the family. If they don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist I feel is their mentality. Have you ever felt like this, (whatever your identity or sexual orientation)? How did you deal with it?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You mentioned they took it well at least and it seems like they support you aside from the one thing. I think it's important to try looking it from a parent's perspective, they've only ever known you by your birth name and sex and so their whole idea of who you are is more or less built around that. When that's how they've known you for the majority of your life it's hard to suddenly erase and change that whole image. The important part is they love and accept you for who you are though. It may take some time to get used to the little stuff like pronouns and your new name, and to kick the old habits but, I do think any parent who truly supports and accepts their kid, should be willing to make a few changes to accommodate them. Have you explained to them it bothers you to still get called the wrong things and etc yet? how have they responded so far? =o

3. FightingShadows

I've never been one to speak up. So when they said they wouldn't change what they called me I figured maybe I just had to let it sink in with them, give them time to come around even though it hurt and still continues to. I figured that I couldn't MAKE them do anything they didn't want to and that maybe I could live with it. But I can't. So seeing as my chosen name isn't legal yet I guess they feel they have no reason to call me it. But once it is legalized, I'm going to push them a little harder.