1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just broke up... too soon to date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bornthiswaybby, Oct 11, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

I just went through a break up about a week agooooo (Bobby Shmurda reference).

I was wondering if in your opinion, it looks bad on my part to be talking to a new boy already.

Not to sound full of myself, but I'm a fairly good-looking and sociable guy so it's not too hard for me to find somebody, but I feel like it's bad to be talking to someone new this soon.

AT THE SAME TIME... my ex and I dated for a month. It wasn't a very long relationship however it was my first, so to me it was very meaningful. I still of course have feelings for my ex, but this new guy I'm talking to just seems to be more "my type". He's more of a romantic, sweet type, kind of like me. We met online and met in person today very briefly just to say hi, and it was awkward at first because we're both awkward teenagers but he asked to hang out for real this time. I just feel like I look bad, however to me I think this could be an opportunity to get over my ex and possibly have a longterm relationship if things do go well. I'm stressing about this.

What is your advice? I'd love to hear :slight_smile:

2. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, although there isn't really a set time-frame or a convention for when you should start dating again, my question to you is: do you feel ready for another commitment? I think you should take things slow and get to know this person before making any rash commitments.

There is one thing you need to remember with all future relationships: rebound relationships never last

3. Blossom85

I think we could give you advice or our thoughts, but it is really your call.. The only thing I would be worried about would be "rebounding", but if you are going into it with the right reasons and the right attitude, maybe let this guy know you just got out of a relationship and you really do like him, but would like to maybe take things slowly to see where they go..

If you feel like you are moving on and this guy seems more your type, I think you might regret it later on if you don't take the chance. Just be aware of the reasons why you wanna begin dating again and do it for the right reasons.. Not the wrong reasons.. Don't do it cause you wanna get back at your ex or cause you feel lonely.. Do it cause spending time with him and being with him genuinely makes you happy. Don't worry about what others think, just go with your gut and your heart and don't let you think others might think deter you from pursuing something with this guy.

4. bornthiswaybby

He knows I just got out of a relationship and I told him that I may accidentally flirt too much because I'm trying to get my mind off my ex, and I apologized before hand right when we started talking. I do feel as though I'm using him as a rebound, I just feel so hurt and sad and I need something to get my mind off everything. I've debated using drugs or alcohol but that doesn't seem healthy. I thought I liked him but now I'm thinking maybe I just like the attention he's giving me. I'm not sure. I'll take it very slow and see if I really do like being around this new guy, because it's unfair to him for me to end up hurting him the same way I was hurt.

5. Blossom85

I think if you do feel as though you are using him a a rebound, then to me it is quite clear you aren't ready to get into another relationship. I think just treat him as a friend for now and slowly get to know each other and things may just develop naturally from there but I don't think it is wise to force any kind of feelings for someone when you are still getting over your ex. You need time to grieve and move on. For some people it happens quickly but for others, it does take a while.

I think it is natural to like feeling wanted and feeling like you are getting attention especially when you might have felt you weren't getting that in your last relationship, it's also good you are aware of the fact you aren't fully sure of if your feelings are quite genuine for him yet. It sounds like you know what is at risk and what could potentially happen so it is good you recognize that. I think just go slow, get to know each other first and then once you have spent more time with each other, you can each get a better understanding of where you want to from there.

6. tulipinacup

I think you have answered your own question. I agree with what Blossom85 said, If this guy is willing to just be friends with you (or maybe a hook up if both of you are fine with that) then you start from that. In my own experience, usually talking it out to your close friends is very helpful. It's cliche but friends do stick with you no matter what.

7. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personally I feel that rebound love can never be true love, because all you're really doing is transferring your feelings from your ex onto the rebound, instead of developing them from scratch.

At the end of the day it's your choice, I think you just need to be careful because if the new guy doesn't work out or ends badly, could you cope with a double heartbreak? (You said you still have feelings for your ex.)

Be honest and open, like everyone above me has said, try and take it slow.

Good luck :slight_smile:

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I am going to yo against the grain here, your prior relationship was going on for on,y a month as you stated. Your questioning if it's ok to start seing someone else already which suggests your open to doing so.

While your last relationship was your first, it ended quickly suggesting you and or he or both realized in short order that it was not right.

Based on these circumstances, seems to me you should go for it, see others, take things as they come. Your only at the beginning of your journey, explore and do what you feel comfortable with.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the thing: You really need to be in a place where you are totally happy, content, and loving your life *by yourself* before you can be happy in a relationship. If you are jumping into another relationship because you feel you aren't complete... then that's an enormous red flag.

Additionally, if you feel like it's a rebound... it is. That doesn't absolutely positively mean you shouldn't do it, but you need to realize it will probably be taking advantage of the other person and won't really be helping you.

10. bornthiswaybby

that is true, however the thing stopping me and confusing me most is the fact that I have depression and am in the process of healing myself, so I can't be sure whether my unhappiness is related to my ex at this point. I think there's a small amount of grieving I have left to do, but I'm already basically over it. I just still have random moments where it upsets me if I think about it too much.