1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents said take my coming out status off and lie

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ghost_in_the_sewer, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ghost_in_the_sewer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yesterday i FINALLY came out as bisexual and this morning they woke me up and had a talk to me about that i have to take it down and tell everyone that i was "hacked" so that people wouldnt think im bi. So i had to and now i feel like im trapped in a closet that i can never get out of because my parents didnt want people to know. P.S. They say i dont understand yet and i havent lived to know for sure that i bi. So im just going cry silently to bed again and just go on with this unforsakable life of mine controlled by my parents. :icon_sad::icon_sad:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, they made your coming out so difficult. While it probably makes sense to let their emotions settle for a little bit, have you thought about sitting them down, and detailing for them why you are Bi and how their views are wrong, doing so in a calm and rationale way?

3. ghost_in_the_sewer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried but they wouldn't listen but they kept saying that i don't know anything about who i am. I said to them that i was figuring this out for 2 years and finally came to terms with but they said the same thing.

4. ravenclaw

Out Status:
    All but family
    Im so sorry. That must be really frustrating. I hate when adults act like we're too young to have opinions, especially when they act like they know us better then we do. I hope they listen in the future. At least they dont know about EC :slight_smile:

5. lukeluvznicki13

Well my mom kept asking me whether I thought I was going through a phase and such and I keep saying no. Maybe chat to your parents more and tell them how you feel and that you know it isn't a phase...that's my honest opinion because they can't control you once you are out of their house and you are independent.

6. Sek

Sek

I think you should to try to understand why they might do that. If they don't disapprove of your sexuality, they might be coming from a place of trying to protect you. I think you should talk to them and ask why they made you do it.

Also, ask yourself: does the entire world need to know which gender(s) you prefer sleeping with? Personally, I've never had the desire to 'come out' unless I'm interested in someone, because it's no one else's business IMO. I don't mean to stifle you but your parents might be right to protect you - not everyone will react positively to your coming out.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could make a sarcastic "retraction" that's over the top.

8. AKTodd

You're 17 years old. Within a fairly short time you will be old enough to move out, get a job, and make yourself financially independent of your parents. At which time you can say or do whatever you wish and they will be utterly impotent and helpless to stop you. It may take some time to get to that point, but it is certainly an achievable goal. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Hang in there and don't let them get you down.

Todd

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    17 years old is plenty old enough to know who you are; there have been people who have posted here that their child told them, and was certain, at 7 or 8.

Todd makes a good point: If your parents are threatening dire financial/safety/security consequences, you may have to retract it. But if they're just grumbling, you might want to say something like "OK, I will do this. But I want you to understand that if I do, it could irreparably damage my relationship with you, because it is invalidating a crucial part of who I am. If you are willing to risk the long-term and possibly permanent damage to the relationship of trust and authenticity we've built, then I will remove it. I'd like you to think about that before I do."

Unless they are *complete* assholes, that will make them think.

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would take it down, but I wouldn't post a status retracting it.

Or, if you are forced to retract it, let all of your friends in real life know that you are gay and tell them that your parents forced you to lie against your will.

11. shinji

shinji Guest

If they don't respect you enough to accept your standpoint on the matter, why should you accept theirs? Just ignore the whole deal and talk to them at a later time when they are of a clearer mind. Obviously the whole "status" thing shocked them and that was your mistake, for "telling" them in that way.

12. Will2M

I totally second this. Great advice to really make them think about how much they love you. it sounds like they just need time to come around. For the closed minded people something different can be a shock but if you keep reminding them and trying to help them understand they should come around. Just be safe, there are bad stories about parents but it doesn't sound like this will turn into one.

Sit them down and talk to them about this with the idea from the quote above. I think it is brilliant.

Good luck and we are all here for you!

#12 Will2M, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  13. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

So your parents were at least semi cool when you told them about your bisexuality ?The problem became when you wanted to post it on F B? Like a lot here have already said : protection mode comes to mind . If you're one of those super adulty type of 17 y o then chips suggested convo is definitely right up that alley and would sure put them on the spot and on notice .
    The stuff that is bizarre to read is : at 17 you'll soon be financially ,etc, independent or who you're sleeping with is no ones business and they think they know better than us (paraphrasing).
    At 17 (I'm 18 and a freshman ) even if you skipped college you won't be financially independent for another 10 years and if you skip chances are you'll never be truly independent . at 17 EVERYBODY knows who you're fcuking ; that's human nature. and at any point under your parents roof( my dads fave line ) they always know better, and generally, from my purely optimistic perspective on the matter , anyone who's lived at least twice my age damn sure better know something more than me about life ; especially it's harsh realities . So , in conclusion breh, make sure that whatever you decide to say or do you can actually abide by that for as long as you realistically will have to for the foreseeable future .

14. Clay

I'd just keep it up if I were you.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd recommend sitting down your parents and telling them that what you're feeling is not a phase, but in fact it's something you were born with, and have known about yourself for a long time. If you really try to talk to them and get them to understand, it may work.

One thing that's a bit sarcastic to say but totally effective is "when did you know you were straight", and then once they answer ask them if that's also a phase. You can leave the second part off is the sass won't work that well.

Also, I'd tell your really close friends and anyone else you feel comfortable telling your true feelings, and tell them you weren't "hacked".

:slight_smile: hope this helped.

16. thekillingmoon

First of all, it's your life and your choice whether you want to come out or not. You should explain to them that taking off your status online wouldn't stop you from coming out to people and it certainly wouldn't make you straight. Secondly their reasoning sounds very selfish. I could understand if they didn't want you to come out because they were worried someone could hurt you, but "you don't know your own orientation" reasoning is simply denial on their part, not wanting to acknowledge it.