1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strict Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by meg189, Oct 12, 2014.

1. meg189

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am out to my parents and they won't let me date because they are not accepting. This causes me to have to sneak around if I want to date which is hard because they are very involved. I want to be able to date but I don't like lying to my parents and my last girlfriend broke up with me because she was tired of sneaking around. I don't know what to do as I don't want to have to lie or sneak around but I also would like to have a relationship if I meet someone I like.

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry that you have to sneak around :frowning2: . I am not sure what you should so how old are you ? if you are 18 then they really have no say so what you do or who you do it with . But since you live at home you really have to be careful what you do and how you do it out of respect for there house and rules . I know that is not what you want to hear but they are your parents . I wish you all the best of luck

3. meg189

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am almost 18 but my age is irrelevant to them, as long as I'm living in their house they believe they should have complete control over me, I can't leave however and am financially dependent on them.

4. Sek

Sek

This really is a tough situation.. The thing is I think you should respect their wishes. Remember that your parents have loved you unconditionally and have done more for you than anyone else on this planet. Insubordination generally makes parents even angrier and firmer in their decision because they think you're ungrateful.

Having a good relationship involves honest communication. I think you should talk to them, first of all calmly explain that you can't change who you are (don't respond to anything that might escalate into an argument at this point!) but for now you'll accept what they want. They might realise you're mature enough to make your own decisions and be okay with you dating despite not being 100% comfortable of your sexuality - this was the case with a friend of mine. If they don't come around then you can always date when you move out.

Of course, if they are being unreasonable, remember you aren't bound by their rules forever - as soon as you move out and become completely independent, they don't have much power over you. If you do meet anyone you like, I'd say to keep an open and friendly relationship until both of you are totally free from any restrictions.