1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As an Uncle, when should my nieces/nephews know I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by light77, Oct 13, 2014.

1. light77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So my family is a mostly dont ask dont tell type of family...I love them dearly but they are fairly conservative and strict in their beliefs. I love them unconditionally but it can be very difficult for me personally; I came out of the closet years ago but since then I feel recently as if I am back in the closet as the environment is not exactly nurturing for any lgbt elements. My sisters and brothers do not feel my nephews and nieces (whom I am close with and adore) should know I am gay. They say that they are not mature enough and theres no reason for them to know (they range from ages 9 to 12). I understand to a point what they mean but part of me just feels shamed because of it. I dont really know how to feel and really would welcome any advice on how not to feel ashamed of myself and feel more positive even in the face of contrary opinions. I guess part of me is afraid of how they will react down the road, Im afraid they will pickup the prejudices of those around them.....and from a larger pov, it all just makes me feel as if I should hide it which doesnt feel right.....thankyou for any guidance. Much Love!

2. They're much, much less likely to pick up & much more likely to challenge prejudices knowing their uncle is gay. Also, while it's right to stay away from judging people for their parenting methods, when parents adopt this approach of hiding the world from their children, serious stuff can often go unspoken. Having an open, friendly uncle to confide in, someone who sees the world in a different way can be a real gift.

If you're able to, without risking being shut off from contact, then I'd say pop the bubble. It's profoundly unfair of them to ask you / assume that you will hide your sexuality.

3. light77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I appreciate your reply. I fear that if I just bluntly let them know that it would cause negative reverbations through my family. Furthermore I dont think I would usurp my siblings wishes; still it does cause past feelings of shame and repression to re-emerge within myself when I consciously play along with this omission by ignorance approach. Its tough, I wish I didnt care what they thought sometimes; and honestly sometimes I dont know why I let them have such an influence over my thoughts/feelings/actions in regards to my orientation. I am much more open and grounded about this it seems when I'm with my friends or on my own.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my nieces and nephews at a relatively young age--it was made easier though because there was a partner to talk about. I still remember a conversation I had with one of my very young nieces. We were talking about orderliness and how she likes all her things just so and she was asking me if I was like that and I said I wasn't super neat but I was pretty clean and than she asked me "and is your... (and then she screwed her face up and you could just see her struggling to remember the right word)... partner clean?" I responded that he was, indeed probably cleaner than I. She said she thought that was good. She figured it would be hard to live with someone who was a lot messier than you were. I just thought it was so adorable that the whole two boys thing sailed right past her and the potential relationship problem she foresaw was that one of us might be super-clean and one of us super-messy.:lol: In my experience kids get it unless their taught not to.

5. light77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aww that sweet. Yeah, I currently am not in a place where I am actively with someone so being single makes it more likely to sweep under the rug...but I agree with your sentiment that kids do understand much more easily; but again my brothers and sisters think its 'complicated' and that if/when they find out that they are not 'mature' enough or theyre not 'age' appropriate...

6. Will2M

Screw that being age appropriate. If equality is equality you have as much of a right to tell them who you really are as their parents have to tell them about the birds and the bees. If that makes sense. They are kids, and they are young enough to not have any prejudices yet. If you tell them now you can make them more open minded and less prejudiced, possibly even helping open their parents minds. In short you should tell tell them if you know there won't be any great fall out. Your brothers and sisters will be a little mad but if that is it then it is totally worth it.

7. Blossom85

I can see how you are in a conflicting situation. You don't want to create unrest in your family, yet you also want to be open and honest with your nieces and nephews.. I honestly think those ages are fine ages to be told their uncle is gay. Some kids as young as those ages are coming out themselves, so if anything I think it shows a little more acceptance and teaches them to be more accepting of it.. If they know their uncle is gay, they maybe more inclined to not listen to the hate and misconceptions about the LGBT community, they will see their uncle is no different to the uncle they have always known.

I think ultimately it is your call.. If your nieces and nephews have a close bond with you, then I think it won't matter.. I think you should talk to your siblings and maybe ask them why they feel the children they are raising aren't going to be able to handle the news. I think they are underestimating their own children, kids are really smart and If they are raising them to be accepting of all people, then is don't see what the issue is at all. If any of you nieces and nephews are questioning their own sexuality, then knowing their uncle is gay might be the encouragement and hope they need as well especially if they feel the rest of the family isn't going to be accepting, it will be at least nice to have someone in their family that they know who is gay and will support them.

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would bring your partner to the next family event. Just do it as a surprise. there will be a bit of discomfort at first, but it pretty much gets it out there. Just my two cents.

9. light77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I appreciate your guidance. I actually said the same thing to my sister, that they are underestimating their children. I don't know if I'll bluntly just tell them, but I think that I may just naturally be myself and next time I'm asked if I will get married or wheres my gf,etc. maybe I should just be honest and speak my truth even if it riles up my family.

---------- Post added 14th Oct 2014 at 05:41 PM ----------

Thankyou, I appreciate that....equality is equality....I know that yet when its family it makes me just not want conflict, so for the sake of peace I just accept their discord and let it be.