How much of the conversation starting should I be responsible for?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sek, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Sek

Sek

I'm wondering of your opinions on this since I'm feeling a little confused.

Whenever I talk to my crush, I find that I'm starting most of the conversations. Sometimes he's really responsive and will want long conversations to the early hours of the morning full of flirting, hinting towards us being in a relationship in a future, and other times I'll struggle to get a word out of him.

I'm a pretty obsessive person by nature - I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that I rarely get interested in things and I stick to what I know/like. I say this because there's seldom a moment I don't want to talk to him but there seems to be plenty of times he's not up for talking to me. Due to my obsessive nature, this doesn't really work for me because I feel like I'm constantly checking for some kind of interest from him and don't get it as often as I'd like..

I've never really been the one to end conversations because I will make room for it, eg texting back in class or putting off work to skype him. He will sometimes end the conversation abruptly, promise that he'll talk to me later and I won't hear from him properly again for a number of days. Sometimes he'll then reveal some kind of ulterior motive for this, which then leads me to question whether I should be the one to start the conversations because I'll be unaware of any serious reason he hasn't spoken to me.

If he's genuinely needing space, should I be starting conversations or should I be waiting for him? I don't want him to think I'm losing interest or that I've lost interest by suddenly but I don't know whether I'm too clingy or too desperate.. I hate having mixed signals.

Should I stop initiating the majority of conversations and just reciprocate what he wants of me?

2. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    From my experience, I'm almost always the one who starts a conversation with anyone in my life. I'm extremely extroverted and have some nice social skills so I know which topics to talk about with each person, and I know how to keep the conversation going until there's nothing more to get from it, in which case I end it or change the subject or leave. Don't work yourself up too much, he might just be a little introverted and you're a little chatty. Unless he starts shutting you down altogether or says he's uncomfortable with what you're saying, it's probably fine. Sometimes it's good to just straight up and ask "am I talking too much? I'm sorry" in a casual way so you two can keep a more open relationship and be more comfortable around each other. Sometimes people have other important things to do and they can't give up some time for chit chat or conversation, don't read too much into it.

3. EbonyDazed

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually have the same issue, I usually end up starting conversations with my crush. Sometimes we can talk or text for hours and other times it's only for a few minutes.

I started backing off a lot after one particular incident when I was texting her and she was in the middle of school work and send me a rather blunt message that she was too busy to talk right now. (Insert kicked-puppy reflex)

When I backed off she contacted me, apologizing for going off on me. Sometimes space is a needed thing. If he's really into you he might take notice that your not talking to him as much and he'll get worried or want to contact you.

Even if that doesn't happen, space might be nice, especially if you know he's got work to do or it's just stressful for him at present.

4. Sek

Sek

Thanks SeriousJack and EbonyDazed, I'm feeling better after reading your replies.

I am quite extroverted in that I have good social skills and can talk for hours, but I'm introverted in the sense that I don't enjoy being around most people for extended periods of time. The thing is, he himself seems to be very extroverted in that he's constantly out and around people, always meeting new people and telling me about them. I have however backed off a little and I've noticed he's messaging me more and initiating conversations. I figure if I'm always ready to talk and he's only sometimes ready, I might as well wait for those some times so we're both comfortable.