1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seeing my boyfriend for the first time?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JakeHas, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JakeHas

Hello!! So I'm in a long distance relationship with a very very sweet guy. I've known him for well over a year but we started dating a couple months ago. This winter break I wanted to show up in his town and surprise visit him! It would be amazing, I would be so happy to just hug him finally and see him in person... I asked his mom if that would be okay for me to do, and she is all for it. She would love to see that, but with my parents it is a bit different.
    My mom is one of those very very protective moms. I asked her and she started saying stuff like I don't even know him and criticizing my relationship because it's long distance blah blah blah. Yet, she also said it's not a no but she'll put thought into it.
    My dad is kinda weird about it, just because he's a more reserved guy and still may not be use to the idea of his son being gay, but he said it's a possibility.
    They both would want to talk to his mother, and that's fine with me. But how else can I convince my parents to let me go do this?

This would make me so happy you guys don't even know xD Just the thought of it melts me. I hope for this to happen so so bad. I'll do anything for it.

Thanks

2. Blossom85

I think if they are thinking about it, then just let them think and process for a while. I think at times you need to be careful and tread softly with your parents. They want what is best for you and I think they might come to that conclusion that letting you go would be in your best interest but you need to give them time as well.

I think all you can do is talk to them which you have done, and let them talk to each other, think it through and then make their decision. If they say no, then maybe then you can dig a little deeper and explain more reasons as to why it is something you would really love to do. I just think don't pressure them when they are still making their mind up as it might get them offside.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may seem a bit awkward, but I think if you would have your mom meet your boyfriend over Skype or something and get to talk to him and see how nice and sweet he is, she may start to open up to the idea of letting you go meet him if they go with you. You can also have her sit down and talk to his mother as well, and you could do this as many times needed for her to feel comfortable. If you get on it early and keep selling her the idea (but don't beg for it) that it would be awesome to go see him and his family, she may cave in and say yes. You could try the same with your dad, unless you'd think he'd react more negatively to it.

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

4. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I'd get your mom to talk to him and his mom over skype or maybe see if his mom will give you her number and let your mom give her a call. Just think of it the same way as if you were going over to a friends house.

5. JakeHas

I appreciate it guys, my dad said he will talk to her once he's thought about it overall a bit more. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure still how to convince them more. I think I may include telling them that that will be my one and only Christmas gift this year from them. No money no nothing. My only gift this year is for them to let me go down to visit using purely only the money Im saving up. Im buying my one and only gift this year, how could they turn that down??

6. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I have to say I am hoping that they say yes ! Please let us know what happens I wish you the best of luck!

7. Blossom85

That sounds like a good idea, if you turn it into a Christmas present.. You could mention that you don't want anything else except that which shows them how much you do care for him. I do hope it all goes well for you.

8. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is so sweet -- I hope your parents let you meet!

For what it's worth, I don't think there's anything you can say to convince them at this point. Just try to stay on their good side and continue to demonstrate how important your relationship with this boy is to you. I think if they get to the point where they talk to your boyfriend's mom they'll agree to make it happen.

Try not to pressure them too much; I'm sure it's a scary proposition for your parents to allow their young son to travel relatively far away to visit someone he's in an intimate relationship with but has only met online. The fact that they're considering it shows they place a great deal of faith in you so try to be patient and understanding of their hesitation.

Good luck! I hope this works out for you and we get to read about a fantastic first meeting. :slight_smile:

9. Will2M

From a slightly selfish person... Don't play the Christmas present card until you have to... But good luck. I hope this works out for you :slight_smile:

10. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's soo sweet. All I want for Christmas... Is you.. :slight_smile:

11. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mom isn't wrong to be concerned. I don't think the Christmas present idea will be very effective.
    The issue isn't that they're allowing you to do something/giving you permission to do something; the issue is your safety, and your parents aren't going to trade your safety for Christmas presents.

My boyfriend and I have been together long-distance since February 2012. We met IRL for the first time in April 2014, and my mom still accompanied me when I went to meet him. I contacted my boyfriend's mom and talked over visiting and we worked out that it'd be best if our parents met and got on the same page.
    A little lame? Yes, but it paved the road for a future of trusting, parent-less visits that both families can feel comfortable with. My boyfriend and I are now free to travel alone to see each other, and my parents welcome him in our house.

If all else fails, talk to your parents about having one of them accompany you to visit him for the first time.
    At the very least, no matter what, your parents and your boyfriend's parents should talk (email, Facebook, phone, whatever) about visiting, share concerns, and establish the "ground rules".

Good luck.

12. JakeHas

No yeah, sorry I shouldve included this. One of my parents would come for sure, that was decided. Certainly not me alone haha

13. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope it goes well, let us know. My mum was horrified at the thought of me having an online relationship when I was 18. Then again I wasn't out so I told a few fibs.

14. DarkestDream

I just now caught your post here, and I don't have much to add except that I'll be keeping good thoughts for you! :slight_smile:

15. JakeHas

Thank you everyone for the advice and help. My parents haven't given me and answer yet, but hopefully things work out!! And yes of course if it happens I will tell you guys alllll about it. I will have someone recording it if it ends up happening for sure :slight_smile:

16. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, any update on this? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. JakeHas

Not yet sorry, I'm giving my parents a bit more time before I start bringing it up more

18. JakeHas

UPDATE: I didn't want to keep bugging my dad about it and seem persistant, so I left a letter for him I wrote out explaining like how much it would mean to me and everything. Hopefully he'll give me a more specific answer about it all later! Crossing my fingersss

19. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a letter is probably a good idea in this case because you can clearly express your reasons for wanting this so badly without being talked over. I'm assuming this is not the way you usually communicate with your parents so hopefully the different medium helps underline how important this is to you.

I hope it turns out for the best! :slight_smile:

20. JakeHas

UPDATE: My dad said yes omg omg omg!!!!! Now my mom just had to okay it but im not worried at all! Gosh im so happy