1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I apologize for behavior in past relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Notlad, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Notlad

I've been looking back on my years of high school, and I have been thinking in particular about relationships, primarily my first boyfriend. I'm a senior but this happened my freshman year. We met during band and he ended up driving me to Ihop after a football game. He asked for my number which I gladly gave him. We texted over thr next few days and after about a week we were secretly dating. We were both kinda in the closet. (He is no longer but I still am) The relationship was fun and there were new experiences in it for both of us, but I started to notice his poor hygiene, got a but freaked out after his family began to recognize we were a couple (his dad was an open bisexual and had relationships witg men in the past) and I couldn't do it anymore. We broke up but we were friends for about a month after. Then the fact we dated got all around the school because of a friend he told that he said was trustworthy and I was pissed. I said some horrible things to him and told him I wasn't actually into him, and that was it. I've seen him a few times since but it's always been awkward. A mutual friend said he wasn't over me for a while and that the stuff I told him hurt him. It's been several years since but I am wondering if an apology would be appropriate.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never too late to apologize, mainly because most people will forget the details of what you said or did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

It's not easy of course, but you would be surprised how healing it is to present yourself to someone in that vulnerable way. In most cases the person who was hurt will sense your discomfort and help you to make it easier. In most cases, this can turn the page in your relationship by deepening it to another level.

3. BiPenguin

If you can still contact him, try to take the time to apologise. Tell him that is was yourself with the issues and not him and that you projected and for that you are very sorry and wish you could take it back. (((hugs)))

4. White Knight

Yeah apoligizing might be good if it is bugging you this much.

However also if he isn't over you yet it might seen as trying to rekindle the relationship so draw your lines clearly and let him realize where you stand in relationship.