1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I Be Wrong to Leave the Family Behind?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BrotherCardiac, Oct 17, 2014.

1. BrotherCardiac

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all, going through some decision making processes and figured I should get a few second opinions:

Since my 2nd or 3rd year of high school, I've long since decided I was going to damn near completely cut myself off from my family as soon as adulthood hits. There are a lot of lurking variables as to why that would take incredibly long to explain, but the main thing that gets to me about them is their extreme homophobia. They are incredibly prejudiced against all things LGBT, yet they don't know I'm homoromantic (I consider myself bisexual when it comes to physical attraction, but I know romance for me is a lot more likely to happen with a male than a female, and any scenario in which I end up with a man would not please them). I've managed to hide it well from pretty much everyone I've wanted to hide it from; no one in the household knows about my orientation or that I've had boyfriends. I was not financially independent and did not look forward to what could happen if I came out. I put up with it for pretty much all of my childhood, but it (combined with the other family aspects I didn't name but bothered me still) took me through a very deep depression that put me in a very dark place still lingers to this day. I don't like admitting this over the anonymity of the internet, but I was indeed suicidal because of it.

Fast forward to now and I'm in college. I'm MUCH happier now. I'm out, I'm doing well, I'm on a full scholarship so paying for school is not a problem, and though I'm not currently employed I am pretty sure I would have no major issue finding a job, as I have managed to get a job before when I really wanted to. So I think I'm in a good position to start the abandonment process now. the only thing that's stopping me is the absolute guilt. Even though I know it would be much better for my mental/emotional health to move on, I'm still close to my mother regardless of our struggles, and I know it would absolutely destroy her to find out I was gay. She's extremely homophobic and constantly raves on and on about me having a future wife and grandkids (especially since I'm the only child). I've stopped myself from coming out lots of times by guilt tripping myself, but honestly, I get less and less afraid of losing her as time goes on. I considered just completely dissociating myself with no reasoning given, but I know that would not be fair. It is really getting to me though: every time I visit or talk to them on the phone, I notice I sound very passive aggressive, and I'm sure they notice it too. It's so weird: I obviously have some sort of love for them because of upbringing and familiarity and all that, but I'm at the point where I can probably admit to either hating them (which is a big thing for me to say, as hate is a strong word for me) or at least a holding a very spiteful indifference to them.

I'm really stressing over this and it's kinda putting a damper on my newfound happiness, which, after much though, I've come to realize I should not risk for them. Should I just come out and make the separation easier for us all? Is it fair for me to even separate like this? Is now even the right time to make that separation? Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome to EC

I am sorry to hear of your family problems.

If you are really ready to lose your family to escape there bigoted views I would advice you to look at this from a different way.Look at it as sorting your home life out which may result in loosing your family as a worst case scenario.

Before deciding to leave,come out to your parents and explain that you have never wanted to be gay,its just the way you are.You may need to give them a bit of time,but my guess is that they will come around after a week or two.You are there only child and they are not likely going to want to loose you.

As I have said many time before,my father was nearly as homophobic as your parents but has totally changed since I came out.

You may be surprised how a close family member coming out can change a person.

If all else fails and you cant improve your situation,you still have a back up plan of moving away.

Good luck,I hope you can get thing sorted.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only feelings and emotions you can take ownership of are your own. Whilst it's nice of you to consider how your parents might feel, you cannot be responsible for their reaction or associated feelings. They will have to process her own feelings, in just the same way as you have had to process yours. It will take time, of course, but do not completely rule out the prospect of acceptance, no matter how unlikely it may seem. I know it's hard to believe, but some parents do change their tune, when faced with a LGBT Son/Daughter. It really does happen.

You realise how all of this has affected you over a prolonged period and you know how important it is to your emotional well-being to live with authenticity. Don't take your eye off the ball. If you cannot be the person you want to be you are denying yourself the chance of happiness and contentment. Personally, I don't think that's worth sacrificing for anyone or anything.

The timing is a personal decision for you. If you are no longer dependent on your parents for safety and security you are free to choose. Sooner would be better than later, I feel.

Have you decided how you would tell them? Verbally or in writing? Either way, it might be an idea for you to have the contact details for PFLAG to hand. You can't force your parents to contact PFLAG, but you can make them aware of the group as they try to process their feelings.

Good luck!