1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding friends locally

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gqkid22, Oct 18, 2014.

1. gqkid22

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys. So here's the deal. I live in the midwest in the middle of nowhere. I have no car. How does one make friends, especially LGBT friends in a small town?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really sure, but most of my LGBT friends are friends I already knew from school before they came out. So, you might try to find that one out person and expand your circle. Try facebook, also. Sometimes, you can tell who might be gay through mutual friends.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "middle of nowhere" and "small town." Have you looked for any sort of LGBT community center organization, either in your town or very nearby? You can sometimes find them in some surprising places, and they can turn out to be good ways to meet people.

4. Bzrk

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try to see if any places in your town are lgbt friendly but then you have to try to figure out if any of them are gay and then trying to start a conversation I know it's scary. I'm in a similar situation to you I live in a small place and there arent any lgbt clubs or groups but there is a couple of people that meet at a cafe so there might be something like that for you.
    Good luck

5. MickH

Ugh, I'm in sorta the same situation. I have maybe one LGBT friend in real life and I'd really like some more. Maybe there's some sort of club you could join? I know near me there's a LGBT bookclub of sorts that meets at a cafe.