1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what my dad said kinda scared me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Scarlet, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Scarlet

Out Status:
    A few people
    him and his friend were talking and they brought up this transgender MMA fighter but they were really bad about it. they were using the pronoun "he" to talk about her, even going as far as calling her an "it" and saying all this mean stuff. he doesn't know that i'm androgyne because i don't really press about it, and i still look/dress my desginated sex but he says that androgyne people don't exist so i'm scared i can never come out to him about anything.

2. MerryRev

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Parents can say the dumbest things, but sometimes they can surprise you... My mom kept on giving me shit about how I acted like a lesbian even though I'm sure she knew long before I came out to her...

Turns out she ended up being cool about, but we don't really ever discuss it which is quite hurtful.

Also he sounds ignorant about it at the moment but maybe once he learns more about your experience he will learn to accept and even appreciate your honesty.

3. Scarlet

Out Status:
    A few people
    ahh, hopefully he does open his eyes if/when i do com out to him. it would be so awesome knowing my dad is okay with who i am, thank you!!!

4. Blossom85

I am sorry you feel that you can't come out to him, I think like MerryRev mentioned, it could just be ignorance and that he doesn't know enough about him to make more appropriate comments. I would hope that he will still be accepting of you and support you though. Does he seem negative about the LGBT community in general that you know of?