1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding LGBT/accepting friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SensesFailX, Oct 19, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

Hey everyone. All my life I've lived in a conservative community and everyone is very homophobic. I recently cut one of my best friends out of my life after hearing one too many comments about how gays are disgusting and should burn. It seems like everyone I know is extremely homophobic and even if they aren't hateful they're at least sort of weirded or creeped out by the thought of same sex couples. The few gay/bi people I know aren't into the same stuff as me whatsoever and are difficult to talk to. I'm semi-out but I just don't know how to find accepting friends. Any ideas?

2. Hi, sorry about your situation. I think you should just be yourself ya know? There is bound to be many people out there that will love you for who you are and I bet your not the only one who feels this way. I have a hard time making friends and sometimes I have to let them go because they don't accept me. I realize now that if they don't love you for who you are they aren't your friends. It sucks honestly that people are so closed minded my parents and family are that way. I wish you the best of luck and even though I may not be able to meet you I'm happy to be your friend. I'll keep you in my thoughts and wish you the best. :slight_smile:

3. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a similar situation,Well It's kinda of hard when the average person around is homophobic, plus the people who aren't homophobic or even the gays ones as you said don't really interest me. When someones says something homophobic i pretend i don't here and just kinda drift away from them without being obvious. I can't really cut them out or else i'll cut out most of the people in school, i just kinda put them in the acquaintance zone and focus my time on the friendly friends.

4. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    we're in a same boat.
    esp in my country most ppl here are very conservative.
    they think ppl like me is a curse. hell.
    sigh… we're not that bad.
    I can't make out with lesbian community here. They just too wild and so unbehave.
    I tried to live and make friend with straight ones, again they just like can't accept me and think like I'm a virus or something.
    So i decided to be alone instead.
    I wish I could find someone (just need 1) who can complete my life with and be my life partner til my time come..
    Its such a hard times to deal with my entire life… keep struggling everyday to pretend that I'm okay.