1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sabotaging potential same-sex relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ApplePear, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ApplePear

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in my mid-late 20s and over the past year or so begun to acknowledge and explore the fact that I might not be totally straight. I had a handful of crushes on women before that point (including a professor teaching a course on Oscar Wilde...) but I'd never acted on any of them. Since becoming a bit more open I've had one dance-floor makeout and been on a few dates with two different women. Neither relationship made it past the fully clothed makeout stage (in one case she ended things, in the other case I did, partially because she wanted to move faster than I did). One of my friends/colleagues has admitted that she's attracted to me, and I'm attracted to her, but whenever our relationship gets too close to being physical (like when she invited herself over for a platonic sleepover) I get cold feet and totally lose interest. Meanwhile, I briefly dated a guy and slept with him on the second date, and am totally smitten with another (confirmed to be queer) female colleague who is off limits for at least another month until I'm no longer in a minor position of authority over her (though we're on the same level, I'm currently a teaching assistant in a course she's taking).

...This to say, I'm worried that I'm subconsciously sabotaging same-sex intimacy and falling for unattainable people because either:

a) I'm not actually queer, I'm just one of those people who hangs out with lots of queer friends and who is totally not at all homophobic/squicked out by gay sex.

b) I'm actually a lot more homophobic than I realize and I'm avoiding actually doing something that would allow me to feel more certain about my orientation (and therefore come out about it)

Then again, maybe I just haven't found the right girl? I tend to be pretty picky about the men I date as well (I've been single for almost 3 years, and completely celibate for about 2 of those years)...

Has anyone experienced this? How did you break out of this holding pattern? Any advice?

2. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or c) maybe you're just not ready.
    Admitting to yourself that you're gay? bi? not straight? is one thing. Actually being ready to be intimate with someone of the same sex is completely different. It doesn't make you homophobic. You may just not be ready. Dating is great. Making out is fun. If you're comfortable with those, my advice would be to stick with that until you're more comfortable.

A few thoughts for you...(you don't have to answer these here, just think about them.)
    People who want to have gay sex...aren't straight.
    Do you actually WANT to have sex with a woman at some point? Do you think about it? Day dream about it? Fantasize about it? Or are you just romantically attracted to them?
    Is it possible that you're still holding on to the idea that you're not actually queer (I'll use your word) as long as you haven't actually slept with a woman?
    Are you using the fact that you're not yet comfortable being with a woman as a way to convince yourself that you're straight?

3. ApplePear

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your response! Because I've been dating/sleeping with men for years, I've forgotten what it feels like to just not be ready for sex. But I suppose I should remember the thing about coming out kind of sending you back to a new awkward adolescence as far as relationships are concerned.

Yes. I'm super turned on by oral sex, so that's usually what I fantasize about. Also, things involving boobs. Boobs are great. :icon_bigg But my fantasies usually involve some generic/unknown woman, or someone I don't have any chance with. When an actual woman is there wanting to have sex with me, nerves have this way of totally overwhelming attraction.

I think this is a part of it, but I have pretty much no reason to worry about coming out. I live in a liberal place with lots of legal protections, and though my parents live in a less liberal place, they're virtually guaranteed to be supportive (my mother is already agitating within her church to make it a more welcoming place for gay people). Being bisexual would change pretty much nothing about my daily life.