1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with a guy that I really like...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DrBishop815, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DrBishop815

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys,

Here's the deal. I'm 26, and had been dating my first boyfriend for a little over two months. Things had been going quite well; I'd met his friends and they liked me, his roommates liked me, we are in to the same stuff, etc...

He'd mentioned near the beginning when we started dating that he had just gone through a big break up in January and wasn't sure how much time we wanted to commit to dating - which I was fine with. Weeks went by and everything was going OK, and then it just happened that a couple of weeks ago we saw a lot of each other (almost every day). About a week ago he said to me that this had kind of freaked him out, he reminded me about his breakup, and asked if we could keep it to seeing each other 2-3 times a week. Again, I said this was fine...he was so patient with me at the beginning of the relationship that I feel like I owe it to him to be just as patient with him.

Two days after this he slept over at my place (he had been weird the last night) and when I asked him in the morning what was wrong he said that 'He couldn't do this. He thought he was ready to start dating again but he was wrong'. I was kind of floored, and told him that if there was anything I could do to help the situation (i.e. give him time, space) I would, but he said that there's nothing that I could really do because the problem wasn't caused by anything that I had done. He said that he thought I was great/sweet/etc... but he just needs time to deal with his issues from his previous relationship. It didn't really end on a bad note, I told him that if he ever felt like he was ready to give me a call, and he said that he would but that he didn't want me to just wait around.

I still really care for him...and I think that he does care for me, otherwise why introduce me to all his friends? If I was just a rebound, wouldn't he have just 'stuck it out' until he was feeling better and then moved on? Why would he get upset at someone calling me his 'boytoy' (implication being that the relationship was just about sex) if I didn't mean something more to him?

I really don't want to give up on this guy. I know that if I ever want something to happen between us again I need to give him time. My tentative plan was to give him a month or so and then send him a message saying something along the lines of "Hi, hope you're doing OK :slight_smile: When you feel ready I'd really like it if we could just sit down and talk for a bit". Good idea? Bad idea? I really miss being with him...

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, from my perspective, it does sound like a classic rebound relationship with the classic "it's not you its me" speech. You may want to keep an open mind about how long you wait, as you might be waiting a long time; and it might be better for you to find someone else that is in a better place. Sorry if I am being so direct, but you have very thoughtfully presented your situation and my perspective is provided based on personal experience to your type of situation.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's a great idea. It sounds like he's very considerate, and you're being very considerate as well.

I hope everything works out for you two.

4. DrBishop815

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's just hard because I really want to talk to him now, but I don't want him to be uncomfortable...I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep cause I'm thinking of all the things that I want to say to him.

I typed them all up this morning, as if I was typing a letter, and I think that helped. I don't want to screw things up by saying the wrong thing, and this way I can look at my words and adjust them as I see fit over the next few weeks.

It's also weird because he's in almost all the same courses as my roommate. I know that she's seen him, but I've been resisting the urge to ask her about him...I don't want to put her in the position of being the 'person in the middle'.

5. Dionysus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been in the same situation, except with a lass, so I kinda know what you're going through. Honestly, I wouldn't hold out too much hope, maybe keep yourself available but start looking at other options. Sorry I can't offer much help beyond that.

6. DrBishop815

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So yesterday, after about a month, I met the guy for a cup of coffee.

I had been doing OK, but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be...seeing him again just reminded me of how much I really do like him. We had a good talk, though. He filled in some of the blanks as to what was going on with him and reiterated that he really did think I was a great person and thought that we connected well, but that he still just needed some time to be alone.

The nice part was that we didn't just talk about that...we were catching up on what we had been up to the past month, chatted about a TV show that we're both watching, and we were able to laugh together again.

I did tell him again that I wouldn't wait around for him, but said that if he ever felt ready that he should give me a call. At the very least, though, if this is the last time we talk (and honestly, I have a feeling in my gut that it will not be) I'm glad that it was an honest and positive conversation as opposed to his abrupt departure last month, and that it ended with a 'see you around' instead of a 'goodbye'.

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

That sounds like it turned out better than expected. Great job. You always have to temper your

If he believes you two connected well, then I would think there is the possibility that when he get's through this phase of his, there could be a chance to rekindle a relationship.

Yeah, give him space. Maybe see if he just wants to hang out sometime, platonic like, watch tv, no over night stays, no sex, no making out. Hang out, don't go on dates. Slow down the interaction so you are more friends. If the spark is still there when he's through with his break up pain, or whatever it is, the relationship will grow on its own.

8. DrBishop815

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I was happy with how it went. I sent him a quick message after just saying "Thank again for coming, it meant a lot to me and I was glad that we were able to laugh together again. I hope you work through your stuff because you're a great person and you deserve to be happy".

I definitely don't plan on waiting around for him, but I don't think I want to start dating anyone new right now...I'm in the homestretch of finishing my Master's which is quite time consuming, and then the holidays are coming up, and in January I will be job hunting so I'm going to be quite busy for a while, plus it's not like I find guys I really like around every corner.

Who knows what might happen in the new year?

9. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Exactly right attitude...

10. shinji

shinji Guest

Was an interesting read...

Sorry, but i'm going to be somewhat blunt, and i do remind people, that this is just a personal opinion, so feel free to ignore it. If you want to throw stuff at me, please don't.

Basically, i think this guy is a jerk. Not only did he go into a relationship with you, knowing that he might not yet be ready, but then he broke your heart and didn't even bother seeing how you were doing. How come, he comes into your life, screws around with your feelings, breaks your heart... and after all that, you are the one who is worried about him? I get that you like him, but personally... i hate people like that. People who are not only dishonest with themselves, but also with the people in their lives. In the end, if he truly did love you, he would have at the very least made an attempt to reconnect, not wait around for you to do it for him. I do hope you can forget about this person and move on with your life.

11. DrBishop815

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I appreciate the point of view, but I don't think that it's like that at all...

When we started dating he really did think that he was ready, but realized along the way that he still had some issues that he needs to work through. In a way, I am happy that he chose to end things when he did instead of stringing me along for a few more months.

He said that part of the issues that he is dealing with is irrational feelings of anger, and that if we had kept seeing each other he would have ended up resenting me for things that were out of my control. He didn't want that, because (again) he does like me and that would not have been fair to me. That's not dishonesty...that's him being very honest, both with me and with himself about what he needs right now.

Like I said, I don't exactly plan on waiting around for him but if I'm not in a place in my life right now where I want to start dating again anyways I don't see the harm in leaving that door open.