1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if my dog is dying...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Typhoon, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We all love animals, but I also had a soft spot for my 7-year old mutt, who was able to 'smile' because of his massive lips and those big silly dumb eyes of his have always won me over when almost nothing else did.

He was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, and I persuaded my father to ignore the vet's advice to put him down, saying that I genuinely believed that he wanted to live. Sure enough weeks later he was as happy as he ever was and had arguably more energy than most of the athletes I've seen. He did have some complications now and again, such as epileptic fits around March of this year but that was it really.

The past few days he seemed to have developed some inflammation and it had a massive impact in a short space of time, he became weaker, would not eat, was vomiting and leaving behind bloody stools at an abnormal rate. Tonight he's become clearly worse, and is showing signs of difficulty in breathing.

We're taking him to the vet in the morning, we'd do that now of course but my father refuses saying that only incompetent vets are available at this hour, and I've had my fair share of experiences with those myself. What pisses me off is that my drunk of a father is also more interested in whether he'll stain the car and has so far mostly whined about the mess he's been leaving rather than the dog's deteriorating health.

I know the chances of him getting through this are almost zero but are there any people out there with some experience in the matter? Who might know what this and the chances of survival? Also my dog has always been the weak one in the litter, and in inter is much more susceptible to falling ill and taking a long time to recover. I would appreciate some help or insight, that's all.

2. kaminari

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No... I've never had a dog but give him a virtual hug from me :')

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, hopefully he can recover even if it is temporary. He's refusing food, although still wags his tail and walks around, but he's weak and we can't exactly force him to eat. I just hope this has a happy ending :/

4. RainbowMan

I can certainly understand how having a pet that means a lot to you going through this can be extremely stressful and sad, that's completely natural.

What do you think about when you think of some happy times with your dog?

5. Jethro702

I hope he will pull through.

I know what it is like to lose a dog. She was 9 years old when she developed a embolism near her heart which pressed on her lungs. We took her to the vet on a Friday morning and were told the best we could do was make her comfortable. As the day went on she got slower and her breathing got slower and well she passed away sometime that night peacefully.

It's tough to go through, but you can do it. Still wishing the best for your dog and you. :slight_smile:

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Sorry to say this, but... That was very selfish of you. Have you seen anyone die of untreated cancer? I have... It's not a pretty sight. Dogs tend to not show their pain, they are not as "mushy" as us humans.

I'm sure your dad cares, in his own way... but realistically speaking, the dog is yours, is it not? You are the one who cares for him the most, you are the one who should make the hard decision... Being angry at the situation is fine, projecting your anger onto your father, is understandable but, not advisable.

As for the whole thing with the veterinarians, that's just stupid. Get your priorities straight...

7. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Awww I'm sorry about your dog. Hopefully he recovers. Our cat has been sick for awhile with kidney disease, but we've been giving him medication each day and he seems to be alright. He's also 21 years old..

@Shinji, he never said that the dog wasn't treated. Not sure either way.. but we don't know for sure... so I wouldn't judge yet.

8. Blossom85

I am sorry to hear that..

I know it's hard, but I sometimes think that letting him go might be the most humane thing to do.

9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life.

10. shinji

shinji Guest

I'm sorry you feel that way. Hope everything works out for you. (>^_^)><(^o^<)

11. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I'm really sorry to hear this, I know the feeling since last year my 6 year old dog died from what we suspect was poisoning, a mistake made by the vets. It was unexpected and tragic. Pets are members of the family. I wish your dog health.