1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I end things with my boyfriend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Throwaway1, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Throwaway1

Hello everyone =). I hope throwaways are allowed on EC D=.

So over time, I've come to realize that I don't like guys at all. A lot of them have had crushes on me and have asked me out, and too polite to decline, I accept and the relationship always ends after a week because I'm just not interested. I've found that I have always chased after girls in a way, even while I'm in a relationship, so I always end the relationships off.

A couple years back, I found myself in a relationship with a girl, and I loved it more than I ever loved relationships with guys. I was truly sad when our relationship ended after a year because she had to move away. Every time we kissed or held hands, I felt more joyous and more sparks than I ever felt when I did the same with a guy. I, for once, actually felt pain when we weren't anywhere together.

On to the present. I have a boyfriend right now who is really sweet that I share the same interests with. We do kiss occasionally, though I never really enjoy it. I always think back to the girl I had the relationship with. I'm just not interested at ALL with my current relationship, and I believe it's because I'm lesbian. I've been in very deep questioning for a while now after lurking a while on LGBT forums, etc. I have a crush on a girl right now, a girl I really like that I know is gay.

It's tearing me up that I like him as a friend, and that I might be a lesbian while I'm in a relationship with a boy. But at the same time I'm questioning my orientation so breaking up over being a lesbian isn't quite right. It's not fair at all to him.

Am I a lesbian? And should I end things with my boyfriend?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any input Is greatly appreciated. =)

2. Blossom85

I think what you need to think of is that are you potentially leading your boyfriend on? Do you love him and want to spend your life with him? If you can't see yourself in a long term committed relationship with him, then perhaps it is time you think about what is best for you and for him. It might hurt a lot for you both, but if you really don't feel attracted to him and don't feel you can give him what he deserves and make him happy, then I think it is something you need to consider and really think about. From what you have mentioned, you do sound like you could be a lesbian, but it is not for me to make that decision. It is your own decision to make when you feel ready to come to terms with it and accept it.

3. DeadlyNova

You know what's really not fair to him? Leading him on and letting him think you're fully invested in this relationship.

I think you and your boyfriend seem to behave like good friends. That's perfectly okay. Hopefully you can stay friends if you break up with him.

I do think breaking up with him would be the best for both of you. Like I said, it's not fair to him, and it's definitely not fair to you to force yourself to be in a relationship you don't want.

I can't say for sure if you're a lesbian because that's up for you to decide, but I personally think it seems like you are.

Don't force yourself to be in relationships because you're too nice to say no. Being nice is a great quality, but that's how people abuse it. If you do that when it comes to something as big as a relationship, what if you'd do the same thing for something, say, sexual? You don't want to find yourself forced to do anything you don't want to do.

But anyways, like I said, you should break up with your boyfriend because in the end it would be the best thing for both of you. I'm not sure how you should go about it, but definitely let him in on that you want to still be friends. If he doesn't want to be your friend and not date you, then he's not worth your time anyway.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an often used phrase, but in this situation it totally applies... honesty is the best policy.

I'm guessing you would like to remain friends with your boyfriend, no matter what happens, in which case you need to be honest with him. All friendships are built on the foundations of honesty and mutual respect and I'm afraid as things stand, both elements are missing.

It will hurt for you to tell the truth, but if you think about it carefully in advance and really choose your words, you can lessen the impact somewhat.

Blossom85 was entirely right in saying that only you can decide upon your sexuality, but I thought this comment from your posting revealed a lot about your true feelings:
    When you read that, it's almost undeniable where you really stand.

5. Throwaway1

Thank you all sincerely for your support. You guys are amazing.

I am going to end things with him tomorrow. I do love him, as a friend of course, and I want to remain that way. Until I find my sexuality, I'm going to stop dating anyone for a long while.

Thanks again everyone. =)