1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crush is straight?!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IcarusRising, Oct 23, 2014.

1. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am starting to develop feelings for my best friend. But the only problem is that she is straight. I don't want to ruin are friendship. What should I do?

2. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is hard one . If you tell her it might cause her to back away then again it may not she may say thanks and go on like nothing has happened . I wish I was better help sorry. I ruined my friendship when I told but that does not mean it will happen to you I wish you all the best of luck !

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to convince yourself she's straight and that she's therefore off-limits. How would you like if a straight guy was attracted to you?

4. PrettyConfused

I ended up telling my best friend. He let me down really gently and was super awesome about it but at the same time I asked for a break since we talked really often and it was affecting me badly. Although it was hard at first, I'm definitely feeling much better now and am over him :slight_smile:

We're still best friends and he's my go to relationship advice guy xD

5. Fantie

Fantie Guest

I hontesty can't help ... but a break and sexual attraction to other girls might help :dry:
    --
    <sub>thank god all my straight friends are pigs</sub>

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, since I am sort of in the same situation, I can hopefully be of some assistance. I went ahead and told my friend a couple of weeks ago at cross-country practice, because I'd been out to him for a while and we talked all the time. I knew he had a girlfriend, but I was also starting to get annoyed because of the unintentional mixed signals he was sending me. So I just told him flat out that I've had a crush on him for a while and left it up to him to take it from there. As of yet, I haven't seen any negative effects, and it's out there in the open rather than just living inside of me and eating at me.

So my advice to you would be to tell her, but to tell her only if you think she will take it well. If you're out to her already, there's the chance that she already sort of suspects you may like her (as was the case with my friend). If that's the case, then that could possibly have a positive effect on the information. If she already suspects, there's a good chance she's okay with it and that she's not going to ditch you. If she doesn't already suspect you like her, then you can always try to gauge her feelings by dropping some hints before you tell her. That way she can draw her own conclusions and you may be able to see a clue as to her feelings on the matter from her reactions. Probably most importantly, if you're not out to her, definitely make that the first step. Don't just drop the bomb that you have a crush on her if she doesn't know you like girls. Otherwise it'll be way too much for her to take at once and she might have a bad reaction.

I wish you the best. Having been here before myself, I know how it feels to feel that way towards someone and have no idea whether it will end up being detrimental or not.