1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to suggest family therapy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mind Freak, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I don't think our family is as tight as it needs to be;; I think family therapy could be helpful to us.

How could I suggest that to my parents without making it seem like I think we're horribly off and without over stepping my boundaries as a child in the household?

2. Vampyrecat

well i've never had to go through that.

Maybe you could outline to your parents how you feel that your family isn't as good as it could be (politely, tactfully and PRIVATELY) and ask if they feel it would be a viable option.

Sorry I can't give you more advice - but there really aren't enough details for me to give you a more detailed answer.

3. Ben

Ben

You will have to be very careful in your wording, so think it through before you say anything. Try not to make it seem like you're insulting their parenthood because they would take offence if it came across that way.
    It might be best if you used it as an idea, maybe saying something like "I was thinking maybe family therapy or something along those lines might make us all closer." rather than "We should go to therapy."
    And ultimately, make it seem like it was their idea because parents like to be the ones to make all of the decisions. :slight_smile:

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I can tell you how NOT to go about it!

1) Tell your mother you're being sick of being treated like a doormat.
    2) Tell your parents you're sick of them fighting.
    3) Tell your mother you're sick of dad going off the brain at you all the time.
    4) Self-harm yourself to get attention that things aren't ok.
    5) Say "I want us to do some mediation and counseling together because I'm sick of this s#!7".

So as long as you don't do any of those things (like me X_X) you should be ok.

5. Louise

Before jumping in at the deep end why don't you suggest that you do more activities together, bring up conversation at the dinner table, tell your parents how much you enjoy interacting with them and this is so much more pleasant that each of you all doing your own thing.

As you spend more time together things will usually sort themselves out without bringing in an outsider to sort out your problems.

6. Tofu Babi

Tofu Babi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the best way to suggest family therapy is to call the therapist yourself and have them call your parents for a meeting. I don't really know how I'd do it myself.

7. ArcaneVerse

Therapy is only really necessary if there's a major problem that makes being a family hard to do. I don't know enough about you or your family to say much else but if theres no major issues hanging over your family's heads like a dark cloud then therapy wont be able to do much.

I think Louise's suggestions are best, just ask for more family time. But if there is something that's causing a strain on your family's relationships that you don't feel like discussing here, then voicing your concerns to your parents in a polite way maybe a good idea and don't worry about your parents getting angry they should be happy that you want your family to be closer.

8. Mind Freak

Thanks. It's not really that we're a horrible family or that we have big problems. We just don't... communicate all that well I guess. So things get misconstrued which leads to arguements.

Also I think (notice think) that we're all going through more than we're letting on (especially me with the bi thing lol) So maybe if we got all the past kinks worked out things would run smoother. : )

9. ArcaneVerse

ah ok fair enough, sounds like a normal family. Doesn't sound like therapy material to me so maybe start with suggesting a sit down with the whole family so everyone can talk about whats going on in there life & maybe start off with you speaking first. If it goes well then try to get it to be a recurring event.