1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you fix a friendship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by flee4517, Oct 27, 2014.

1. flee4517

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Posted a question earlier but can't find it now--might be overlooking it. But I really need help if you guys don't mind.

How do you repair a friendship after rejection? I told her I liked her. She said she was flattered but not looking for another relationship right now. She said things would be fine between us but they're not. Up until about 2 wks ago she was flirting with me & we were talking. Then she just stopped & shut me out. We see each other about 3 days a week at work and she'll talk to me about her personal life but whenever I try to joke with her (later during the day--not when she's venting about her life) she just sort of brushes it off. She avoids eye contact. When I text her she only replies with a few words. If we happen to be at a social gathering together she really avoids me and sneaks out to avoid saying bye to me.

Before this we flirted, we laughed, we talked for hours, we hung out. Now it's nothing but this awkward tension. She is upset about her ex hooking up with another woman but it's like she wants nothing to do with me--not even as a friend which is all I'm concerned about being right now. What do I do? Do I keep trying to text her & talk to her? Do I ignore/avoid her? I am so confused right now...:confused:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can click on your username to view your previous posts.

I think she just needs some time alone to deal with your revelation. Just say that you'll be there for her whenever she's ready. Ask her directly what she wants to happen (and why she claims everything is fine), and don't forget to give your opinion on what you want.

3. flee4517

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I talked to her Saturday at work--the night after we hung out at a friends house. The friend kept telling her as she was pointing at me look how pretty this girl is with her eyes and hair color and went on about it for a few minutes. Well when we were talking Saturday she brought that up and I said yeah I figured that made you uncomfortable and she said it did. I told her I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable around me. She said if she was she would tell me and that she didn't mind hanging out with me. Just seems like she never wants to. Like last night she put a post about going out tonight and couldn't wait. A friend of hers commented on it and then I did--made a joke about a night we hung out before I toldbher I liked her. Then the friend replied saying I should join because shed love to meet me. Well my crush never responded. I sent her a text after work (she's off today) asking her how she was doing and she said OK cleaning house you? And I said good because she was good and that I was just driving around and she wrote back "OK". I don't know how to talk to her anymore. And I don't know if I should ask her to sit down so we can talk because she seems irritated whenever I bring " us" up

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Time and space usually helps a lot with situations like this. I think trying to fix things probably isnt the best approach at this point. Even with as much as you like her, the best thing would probably be to focus on other things/people for awhile and let her approach you the next several times that you interact with her.

5. flee4517

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was actually wondering about this. I thought maybe I shouldn't text her or like/comment on any of her Facebook posta--because even though she doesn't on mine I still do on hers. I basically thought about ignoring/avoiding her but then I thought that might hurt her feelings. But trying to talk to her isn't working either apparently. So you think I should just ignore her for a while and let initiate the next conversation? God what if she doesn't? Guess that would mean she doesn't want me in her life anymore and that's what scares me. I wish I had never told her how I felt...:icon_sad: