1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Transphobic Mother Started Questioning My Gender

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ArcherSterling, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ArcherSterling

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm really desperate right now for advice. Let me explain the situation:

I'm a fifteen year old attending a boarding high school. The student body and staff are extremely supportive of the LGBT community, so I felt free to discover more things about myself, and long story short, I find out I'm transgender. Because I wanted to give things a "test run," if you will, my friends and I got together and ordered a wig for me.Another reason I had gotten the wig was because I have very long hair, and I wanted to express myself properly without messing up my original hair because I didn't want to make my mom suspicious of anything. It was a few weeks later when my wig came in, and at that point, I knew who I was and was comfortable with coming out. Everyone was super supportive, and I felt happy.

I know that my mom is transphobic because I remember talking to her about my other friend, who also happens to be transgender. She asked me if he was "influencing me" and if the idea of "pretend[ing] to be a boy" appealed to me. I told her no, but she could tell I was lying, so I said I was thinking about it but quickly dismissed the idea. She then looked me in the eye, and with a stern look on her face, she said, "Good, because you are a girl." I have never felt more terrified.

Fast forward to last Wednesday, my friends and I went to a musical (Sweeney Todd. It was pretty great), and my friend started taking selfies. Not thinking, I took one with her. By accident, she posted it to Facebook, and, naturally, my mother saw it today. She called me and started questioning me, and she said that we would talk about it next time we meet face to face. She did not sound happy at all.

I don't know what to do at this point. My mom has always been very strict when it comes to things I am and am not supposed to do. If anyone could offer any sort of advice, I would be extremely grateful.